Good colour match for Polish tanks 70s/80s
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hello all,

what is a good match for the Polish army vehicles in the 70´s/ 80´s? The hull of my Miniart T-55A is ready to paint.

Thanks,

Thomas
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
I was watching this hoping for some informed comment!

I have a small collection of T55s and T72s and was hoping to represent the constituent nations of the the Warsaw Pact and thereby hoping for at least some changes to Soviet green; however, I appreciate that that colour may well be the norm, apart from those nations who were building vehicles under licence.

Whilst I'm happy with the NVA different colour I just wonder what the other respective nations changed to, if indeed, they did.

Brian
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 07:26 AM UTC
Didn’t the Czechs use a more brownish OD color on the tanks that the built or used?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn’t the Czechs use a more brownish OD color on the tanks that the built or used?

I believe the Czechs used temporary camouflage paints during exercises during the Cold War but am uncertain exactly what the colours/patterns were. Even if there's some tonal differences (base colour) it would be nice to know just to ring the changes.

I have an Echelon decal sheet D356024 which gives a camouflage paint pattern for a T-72M1 but there is no date/time given for the vehicle depicted. If this was for during the Cold War then I'm quids in but it may not help Thomas much(!)

Brian

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC
Related thread :

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/polish-t55-s-are-they-that-brown-tamiya-khaki-drab-t109637.html

H.P.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 09:32 PM UTC

Thanks Henri-Pierre,

I'm not sure I'm any the wiser! Obviously Tamiya Khaki Drab was a brown shade too far (although I find it' perfect for Gelboliv on my Bundeswehr models).

I think Bovington has a Polish T-72 and assuming they haven't messed around with it that might be the solution though I'm not sure when I'll visit again given the pandemic restrictions.

Anyway, thanks again.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP