_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Bases for plaster
kernowmerlin
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:11 AM UTC
#:-)
I feel the initial bases for my dia's could be better, i currently use 3/8 inch MDF board which i then surround with 3/4 x 1/4 inch pine. This board could be too thin for some but with good glue and clamps no nails are needed. Please tell me your methods as i am sure i could be doing better, links would also be nice.
Lee Loveridge
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi,

Have you seen Doc's Dio - Picture Frames Bases ?

HTH
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
One thing to do, if using plaster, is to ensure you seal the MDF/plywood base so the wood will not soak up water from plaster or other base products, same with framing.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
I'd poo-pooch to a particle board or plywood (I use plywood) MDF is nothing more than very thick paper. Particle board is "glued up sawdust". Plywood is more stable in the long-run.

HTH

Matt
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
Heres a new twist for bases. I use marine foam sheeting. Basically its the stuff they use to insulate some houses. I can get a 3x8 foot sheet for about 12$ US. I figure out how big the dio or base is going to be and then using a coping or jig saw I cut it out. If you have a hot wire cutting tool you can use this as well. I then lightly sand the edges to make sure it looks good and then apply a good coat of acrylic paint. Grass or whatever type soil you want to replicate is added.....basically build the entire base as you want. Then I go to Home depot with the foam measurements in mind and pick up a piece of wood that is slightly larger than the foam. Its usually a nice piece of oak or poplar. I stain and gloss this piece and then once dry, add some wood glue or epoxy glue, lay the foam on top of the wood, move into position and then let it dry. No worry from water or anythng else warping the wood. I use the same technique with square bases and buy a ready made picture frame to surround the base. Easy and economical to boot. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP