_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Spray can gun
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 04:29 AM UTC
I have bought a plastic spray can gun.
To use with Tamiya spray paints. I've also seen the different nozzles you can get for spray cans.
I have a couple of questions, 1,has anyone used this gun before 2 has anyone used the different nozzles to spray with 3 can anyone advise as to how to use this way of spraying?
I don't have the room for a compressor etc. So I thought this might be a poor man's way of spray painting?
I welcome any help.
Thankyou Chris
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 12:47 PM UTC
Chris,
Is this something like the Can Gun 1?
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/farapp/tcpglobal/public/product_images/203862.jpg
If this is what you are asking about, this only saves your finger from fatigue. This product does not simulate the paint application of an airbrush.

You also mention different spray caps/nozzles/actuators. The can will determine what types you can get as far as male or female.
https://artprimo.com/catalog/images/capchart/male-female-can-cap-diagram-med.jpg
https://www.grafcaps.com/images/graffiti-related/male-and-female-spray-paint-cans.png

I have 3 cans of Tamiya. Primer and 2 colors. All of them are 'male' cans.

I hope this helps

chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 09:08 PM UTC
hi yes to your 1st question. I just thought it might do the trick considering the price of proper airbrush's.
I have been using paint brushes for years and when I see how an airbrush painted model looks, think should I spend the money or not.
Thank you for your help and links
Chris
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 11:16 PM UTC
Airbrushes can be quite frustrating at times, but they really are worth the investment. I have seen one person who has developed a technique for achieving similar results with a fuzzy stick, but I imagine it was not any easy thing to master. There are things for which a brush is the right tool for the job, but as a general rule there just is no substitute for a decent airbrush. My $0.02...

chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 - 02:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply
Regards Chris
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 - 04:57 AM UTC
I agree with Namabiiru. It depends on what you need to achieve with the AB. I recommend starting with a basic setup.

There are basic AB sets that are very affordable. These are great for priming and base color coats.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0019/0880/1571/products/ez-starter_4000x.progressive.png?v=1586828829
https://woodcraft-production-weblinc.netdna-ssl.com/product_images/basic-air-brush-kit/5845163469702d19cc000bda/super_zoom.jpg?c=1480922676

Once you get used to it then you can get a double action, internal mix with adjustable spray pattern for finer detailed applications. Proper care of your airbrush means you only need to buy it once in the hobby lifetime.

I have all three setups purchased at the skill/interest level I was at in the hobby at the time.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 - 02:47 AM UTC
IMHO -- the spray can "gun" multiplies your hand movements so the paint is spread over a larger area which I find to be totally counter-productive when painting small models. (but great for lawn chairs and Bar-B-Que grills.)

As to changing nozzles, again IMHO Tamiya already makes what I find to be the near perfect nozzle for their given paint/pressure combination. Their nozzles create a finer atomization of paint particles than other makers which I think goes on with greater evenness and control than the others and generally their paint seems to be more "forgiving" with less chance or sags, runs and drips.

To that I will add that I work primarily in armor so 99% of my work is in using the Tamiya matte colors and so the characteristics of their matte paints may be greatly different than their gloss colors with which I have little experience.

So your results may vary!
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC
Thanks to all who replied, I think I have been swayed to keeping the spray gun for painting outdoor furniture.
But! that now gets me to ask which Airbrush kit including compressor, I have seen these electric kits that look small and compact?
so which beginners kit should I get?
Thanks again to all replies
Chris
 _GOTOTOP