_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
My dio from TamiyaCon
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC
This is the Diorama I took to Tamiya Con 04
It got plenty of attention and many compliments from visitors and other model builders but no awards.
C.

POLAND-1958

CRS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
Sorry to hear no awards. Great idea well presented. Really like the F-14 in the background (just kidding). Maybe you can beat the tank up a little more and submit it again next year ?
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
It's tough to compete with some of the spectatular dios that are submitted at the show. I'm not bummed it didn't get anything considering the competition this year.
I was quite happy with the questions and conversation from the folks who saw it.
I'll figure out something again for next year.
Where in Cali are you?
C.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
I really like it. The tree is amazing and maybe one of the best model trees i have ever seen. Nice rural setting. Is the car 1/32 scale? It looks a bit on the big size! The tank looks really desolate in the back. maybe too much of it is hidden with fence, grass, tree, etc.
But overall ... a nice dio and will pick up prizes along the line. Refreshing setting also!
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, The car is Tamiya's 1:35 Steyr Kommandwagen. I civilianized it with a hard top and pale blue paint job. It looks 'tall' probably cause it's sitting on blocks a little higher than it would sit if the tyres were on.
C.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:21 PM UTC
Great looking dio, I especially like the work you did on the gutted Steyr 1500. The groundwork and foliage is quite realistic looking.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC
i like it not only because it has a tank in it(im such a tread head) but because of the different theme, most dios are combat related themes, but this looks like a mess after the war, is that what the theme was??

even if it wasn't, excellent work!

cheers to you
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
Thanks, The theme follows the title: POLAND-1958
a scene some 13 years after the war's end on a remote farm in Poland. The authorities have yet to remove the Panther that has been sitting in that position since 1945. The Steyr had been used after the war until it also quit running at which point it was put on blocks. The Panther has been stripped clean of all small parts and the engine has been disassembled to a point. Two University students on a weekend outing with their bikes come across this idylic scene.
C.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
I like it. Great idea/presentation. Do you have a name for it?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
I think a little bird on the tank leaving a bird doody would be funny. Maybe some grafitti. Laundry or some other hanging items hanging from the barrel would be funny too. Perhaps as the ultimate insult, a dog peeing on the tracks
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
I was flipping thru the photos on TamiyaCon here and I personally thought yours was the best dio if not the most unique. War doesn't always have to be represented by the act or the instruments of war for it can still be seen if not felt during the time of peace. The work on the old junk car with the rotted interiors and seats and sitting on railroad sleepers was fantastic. Where did you get the old car?
Could you explain how the tree was made? Work like yours serve to inspire and humble beginners like myself.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
Was just looking at this dio on ML .The rusted out tank looks great !
Spades
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:45 PM UTC
C,
As always, you already know what I have said about this Dio. Thought the idea was really great, its a shame it did not place, but, it was the most original idea out of all of them thier.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:30 PM UTC
I'd of given it a prize, well executed, original idea, and a poignant reminder that war doesn't go away on the day the surrender is signed.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
Great dio, a novel idea and Looks ace...........Well done........I'm really impressed

But personally I think the tank does look a little clean to be sitting under a tree for nearly 13 years. A little 'grace' from a bird or two and some leaves on top of the tank from the tree maybe...... if you have just tell me to shut up.........lol

other than that a really refrershing idea...........Well done!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you explain how the tree was made? Work like yours serve to inspire and humble beginners like myself.

I think Charles read this elsewhere but here is the "official" article.

How to make trees with wire by our own General Failure!

Cheers,
Jim
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind comments.
And Jim is correct, I had read a similiar article on tree construction using twisted wire. It looked fairly easy which is one of my main criteria prior to attempting something
You make the wire armature and bend it to your liking. Then dribble a loose mixture of "Durham's Water putty" on the piece. It hardens fairley fast and just prior to it becoming solid, I used an old stiff brush and brushed in the 'bark' texture.
Noteworthy: Durham's water putty is remarkable stuff. It comes in powder form and mixes with water. Working time is dependant on the amount of water mixed in. It can be colored with latex or acrylic paint or pigment. It drys smooth and can be sanded. You can fill molds and make detailed figures if you want.....it's really cool stuff. Sits on the shelf right beside the bottleof Future.
C.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
Great dio Charles, I really like all the different elements together. Armor, autos, figures and farm animals. I grew up on a farm though and have never seen a cow that clean you might want to weather it a little more next time :-) Your right about the Durham's water putty, great stuff. It works great for repairing those cracked and broken plaster buildings kits too! Looking forward to seeing more of your work soon
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
You have a very interesting diorama here. Excellent work, and the setting is perfect. Dioramas are best when they tell a story, and capture your interest. Your diorama does this extemely well. I like 2 chic's on the bicycles too !

Fantastic job !!

Cheers !!!

Alpen
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
Looks great,saw it on the Tamiys web site,I was wondering who it belonged to. Nice! Mrosko
 _GOTOTOP