_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting Vinyl Tracks
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi All,

I am getting back into modelling after an absence of many years with my 10 year old son. I have finished construction on my first tank ever. I have primed it with Mr. Surfacer 1000 before I paint it black before my base coat.

My question is:
I am using the vinyl tracks that came with my kit. Is it recommended that I also prime these tracks with Mr Primer 1000 before doing any weathering on it?

I am not sure if the paint will peel or I have to prep the tracks in any special way. I want to use these tracks as I am using this tank as a "dip your toe in the water first" project before I get any AM products for future projects.

I've also been looking around in forums trying to get some ideas. Read some stuff on Mr Primer 1000 which talks about priming planes and stuff. I think I am trying to get used to airbrushing as well. :-)

Anyway, any advice would be great and let me know if I'm on the right track (no pun intended)!

Cheers,
Gabe
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi Gabe!

Welcome back to the hobby. I think you'll find this website to be a great companion for help, inspiration, and camaradarie amongst your fellow modelers. I know I've enjoyed the hobby tenfold ever since joining up here.

Regarding your vinyl tracks you should prime them first before painting. I did the very same thing just this evening. I'm building the Tamiya M4A3 Sherman. I am using the vinyl tracks as well. (I bought after market tracks, but I won't bore you with the problems I had with those). Anyway, I washed the tracks in soap and water and dried them well. Don't know if it is necessary or not, but I thought it couldn't hurt. Then I primed it using an automotive primer that I've had great success with. It's called Plasticote. It goes on thin and dries quickly. After that dried I sprayed the tracks grimy black using a spray can. I didn't have any problems with the paint chipping or flaking off. After that dried I put the tracks onto the tank and connected them using the hot screwdriver method. (In case you aren't familiar with it, you heat up the end of a flat head screwdriver with a lighter or some source of fire until it is hot, then you gently press the screwdriver over the seam where the two ends connect. It will slightly melt them together. Be careful not to press too hard or you may burn right through the track.)

Now that the tracks are in place I will further weather them with chalks and paint.

Hope this helps, and please post pictures of your tank when you finish it. What type are you doing?

Best of luck,

John
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thanks John,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the sort of advice I'm after to start me off again.

I'm currently doing a Tamiya Kampfpanzer Leopard. As I said earlier, the construction is finished with only the painting and weathering to do. I recently bought an Azteck A4709 airbrush and a new compressor (with tank). I know everyone bags the AB but after a few weekends, I got a hang of it. I previously had and still have a Paasche H AB. Personally, I think the Azteck is pretty good. As my boss use to say, don't blame the equipment, it's normally the nut on the end of it.

My 10 year old son has just finished the construction of USS Arizona in 1/700 scale. It got both of our eyes tested. I amseeing everything quite well as I have recently had Lasik on both my eyes and seeing all the parts without the aid of magnifying glasses.

Half my Leopard was done pre-surgury and the rest (finishing it off) after.

Thanks for the welcome back to this great hobby. I've forgotten what a relaxing hobby this is.

Thanks again,

Gabe :-)
 _GOTOTOP