_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
how do i make roads
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:13 PM UTC
hey all for my wirblewind dio i am going to have a road in it which is set in normandy grassy fields/forest area.
its pretty easy to figure out how to make them and blend them into the grass of the side of the road but i just want to know if anyones got any handy tips and tricks. i noticed a while ago roadkill had an article on his website about this does anyone know his website address

thnx

matt
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:39 PM UTC
It depends on what kind of road you want to reproduce. If it's a tarmac one, visit your HW store and look for sanding paper (the one you can use wet) of the appropriate grain. Glue it in place and if needed paint it otherwise just weather it...
Ciao
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
Here is how I would do it.
I see the road going by a field or similar. This implies to me that the road is dirt.
I´d make the middle strip of the road to have some grass on it and the sides slightly sloping outwards. I have seen a lot of country roads like this. On the sides of the road there would be shallow ditches with some bushes on the sides.
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:08 PM UTC
yeah, have grass in the middle, unless you want a lane in between 2 hedgerows.... so you could have the road covered in dead leaves... :-)
I sprinkle gravel on my roads and press it right into my groundwork. or the two tyre lines (for the road with grass down the middle) could be sunken (from wear) hard-packed dirt, cracked and with a light layer of fine dust on it. The type that goes into mud easily.
cheers
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC
Matt,

I mailed you the article you where searching for (I think )

Originally it featured on www.docdio.com but unfortunately Keith has ended his website.
I have just made this article and a other on about dio building from Keith available on my site as PDF files
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
hey all thnx for replys, yes i am doing a dirt raod, sorry fo not mentioning that. now i have a pretty good understanding what to do.

matt
 _GOTOTOP