_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
JS III
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
Well, it didn't start out to be a long-term project but 'stuff happens'. Fruillmodellisimo tracks w/ Aber P/E. I made the barrel myself in my little workshop. The texture on the cast mantlet and muzzle brake is imparted with Plasticote T-235 grey 'high build' primer. Hold the can at a decent distance(1 1/2 - 2 ft) from the object which allows the spray to land somewhat dry on the item. Looks kool.

Cody
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:39 AM UTC
That barrel is really impressive....

Damn nice job......
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Cody

I really like that barrel! The whole thing looks like great build. Can't wait to see it done. It's funny how some projects sometimes tend to take on a life of thier own. Good luck with it you are off to a great start.

Wolfsix
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC
wow what a nice job on the model,
what a nice clean build,
and That barrel is really nice.
how long did it take u to make that barrel
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

This fella was started shortly after the original release of the kit and 'shelved'. It's back out again...

Tazz,

The entire barrel(3 modified plastic kit parts and 14 aluminum pieces) represents about 6 hours work.

Cody
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:01 PM UTC
Echo the praise of the barrel -- especially the muzzle brake! outstanding!

Tracks sag is a bit TOO much -- might want to remove one or two links.

I hope you plan to close up the rear end -- unless you plan to add an interior/engine compartment????
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
"I hope you plan to close up the rear end -- unless you plan to add an interior/engine compartment????" What about a rumble seat - that would be kinda' kool. I agree on the track sag - something like below would be more appropriate.

Cody
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
Excellent job on your barrel...The cast effect will really show up great under a coat of paint ...I do agree that a link or two could be removed from the tracks ..The rest looks to be off to a great start.

Rick
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi. Super job here. These IS series of Russian AFVs are very impressive, what with that big barrel and all. Where did you get that Plasticote T-235 stuff at. Hobby shope, art store, or automtive shop? Would like to give this stuff a try, as it looks really good on your model.

Take care, Sgirty
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
Cody - I think you know how I feel from the last time I judged one of your models - but I have to say again that I love that machine work on the barrel. Sometimes I think you "invented" aluminum! This should come out nicely in the painting and weathering stage.

Gunnie
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
Jim,
Thanks. Yeah, I think he'll be quite attractive under a light coat of dust. Course, this guy is being constructed concurrent with the giant Tamiya Tiger 1 which has taken on a life of it's own as well.

Sgirty,
The Plasticote T-235 can be sourced in auto parts stores or the automotive supply sections of many 'variety' stores. The stuff doesn't cost much, is very easy to use and results in a 'random' appearance rather than the potentially 'forced' or manipulated look of hand-applied texture.

Cody
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC
Cody-
Nice job...but that kinda goes without saying. Did you use the kit brake and just clean it up on the machine tools?

Did you take measurements off the kit barrel to turn a new one or did you get measurements from a real tank?

Thanks, Lee

Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC
Lee,

Thanks. The kit brake was assembled, modified with a turned insert in the front, then treated to the primer-texture technique. At that point the counterbores(recesses) for the top and bottom fittings were machined into the now-textured brake with subsequent installation of the little cross-drilled fittings. The kit barrel was used for dimensions. There is a great 24-page reference phamphlet on the JS-III(IS-III) put out by Darlington Productions, Inc written by Steve Zaloga. Highly recommended.

Thanks again,
Cody
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
JS III is looking really cool. You did a fantastic job on tooling that 122mm barrel. That casting effect you have on the muzzle brake nad the gum mantle is awesome !

Can't wait to see it all painted up. Send more pics as you progress !!

Cheers !!

Alpen
 _GOTOTOP