_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building trucks
the_unborn
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hey, I've got one question for you guys..

I would like to build one or two truck models, but I don't know in which order to build and paint them, that goes mainly for the cabin, cause you have interior, exterior and the windows. Please tell me how and that it isn't that hard as it looks like :-)

Thank you, bye
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
I do the cabin in sub assemblies then paint the interior. Put the roof on then touch up anything and detail paint (door handles etc. Put the 'glass' in and then fully assemble the cab. Let dry then mask off the windows on the outside and finish the model in the noemal way.

And no it is not as hard as it looks but is easier said then done :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:00 PM UTC
Howdy un_born (intersting moniker),

First, glad you like trucks! Or, "softskins" as they are mainly known as around here.

I don't doubt for an instant that several of our local 'softskin' experts will be chiming in here in just a bit to help you along. But, if I can, I'd just like to take the opportunity to point out the Softskin Campaign we've got going right now. It has been started by our honourable member Mr. Roo., and has garnered quite the following!
So, make sure you tune in to that thread!

Now, as to your truck building query.......

To begin, I suppose a good basic question is which 'truck' were you thinking of?

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC

:-) :-) :-) .....there, see? Our good S.I.R. has already done his "chiming".......

Tread.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do the cabin in sub assemblies then paint the interior. Put the roof on then touch up anything and detail paint (door handles etc. Put the 'glass' in and then fully assemble the cab. Let dry then mask off the windows on the outside and finish the model in the normal way.

And no it is not as hard as it looks but is easier said then done :-)

Ditto on what our Mr Roo has said. If the vehicle has a soft top and I can add the windows after I paint the base coat I will do this. After the base paint is applied I will use a very small brush or even a sharp tooth pick to paint in the details to the gages and dash knobs etc (in the case that you do not have a dash decal). I will carefully paint the contrast color of the seat cushions etc of the interior after the base is dried. I like to paint and weather the tires off the vehicle and glue them on last. This way I am able to weather and dirty up the frame (chassis) a bit to my liking. after I have the finish they way I like I will attach all the cargo, or gear and the tires etc and give the entire vehicle a dust wash.I forgot to mention that if the vehicle has any decals or transfers to put on, it should be done before the weathering and wash so that the markings will blend in with the overall finish.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:23 PM UTC
I usually build my softskins in sub-assemblies, cab, rear bed & chassis without wheels. When these are all painted, decalled and weathered they are then assembled and tied together with the final dry-brush stage. The wheels are last to be glued in place, that way the weathering gets under the rear floor, mudguards etc.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:23 PM UTC
Thank you sirs,
Your valuable information comes in handy for the wandering reader AGAIN!!!
Tread, Animal, you guys are the best!
 _GOTOTOP