foolin' around with Styrodur
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 792 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
hello all ,

for a while a had an idea to scratch a small street and some ruins .
So while i was at work i saw some leftover styrodur.
What to do with it ? i don't know so i left it in the shed for a while .
Some while back saw a fellow member of Twenot using the stuff to make masters for his buildings and so i went back in to my shed and got the styro .
I'ff read the article how he managed to create the stones and ridges . And from that piont of view i start working to .
i spend some money on the neccesary tools i needed and so i went back to the drawing board .
I read some books on German architecture and street patterns and stones .
And from that piont i took my pensel and draw those parts on the foam . after that i went to the toolshed and start working on the foam to try to make what i had in mind .

With this posting i show you how far i am at this stage .

For those who want to know the first house section is painted with acryllic colors from Tamiya and Revell . Some high lights are done with artists oil colors .

As you can see im far from ready but it is fun to do it .

see you all later and enjoy the pic's .

greetings

Eric

Oh i forgot to mention that the statue is an old Airfix figure the i will use in this " square ' .
I know that it is an English Guard figure but i thought what the heck.............. As far as i can remember i seem to know that there were German forces fighting against Napoleon and the were under English command . So this statue i a German count in English uniform .
( how crazy can you get )

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
And all scratchbuilt ! I scratch all my own building and I'm now so jealous. This beats Verlinden any day.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
Amazing work. Is styrodur the same as the foam panels here in the states? cheers Kevin
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
Eric,

Excellent scratchbuilding. I love this scene. Simply excellent modeling !!
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing work. Is styrodur the same as the foam panels here in the states? cheers Kevin

Kevin ,

I think it is the same stuff .
But keep in notice that there are some different types of this foam . The one i use is the foam with the high density . It is sturdy and strong and won't break easy . There is also the foam type that is used for insulation onder roof tiles but that kind of foam is not good for this kinda work .
For what i know is that the foam that i use is mostly used in construction for floors .

i hope i was of help

succes

Eric
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
I am so impressed with your scratch-building skills. After you made the buildings, did you apply something to the outside surfaces or did you paint right on the styrodur?

Also, I am not sure there is anything in the States that is comparable to this Styrodur stuff. The densest Styrofoam I have seen is the pink stuff used for insulation but that still may not be dense enough. There is something that I have seen at the florist that might be close though. It is the extremely dense (although very fragile) green Styrofoam used to support dried flower arrangements. I tried it once but sort of fell apart when I tried to sculpt it.
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am so impressed with your scratch-building skills. After you made the buildings, did you apply something to the outside surfaces or did you paint right on the styrodur?

Marty ,

I'ff sanded the surfaces a bit to get the a better grip for the paint no other things were done to the foam.
I sprayed the whole structure matt black with my airbrush first and let it dry overnight .
After that i put some thin layers , strongly thinned down , of Tamiya's deck tan ( i did NOT use plain white !!!!!!!! )
Because of the black base color and the thin layers of deck tan hte base color still shines through the " white ' top layer .
This procedure was also used on the gray parts .
hte only thing i have to now is to give the woodenbeams a lighter color . I think they are a bit to dark .
I hope i was of help !!!

( tip ) : only use acryll paint if you use paint wich you can thin down with terpentine the whole structure will melt down !!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

E.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
Beautiful work sir! Applause, applause!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
all i say ;that is really excellent and using the airfix figure as a statue is a very brilliant idea. i think plaster of paris will be a history soon as we can have stryodur easily
congrats Eric
Jessy
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC
First of all it's a VERY nice job.
Second, can you tell me what the necessary tools are you need to carve out the pattern of the street and the houses?
thx
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
Please, please, please.

Show a photo or description of the tools you used and how we can get that material in the States. I'll buy a carton and reship panels to other folks if you are interested.

Your work is magnificent.

Sealhead (conveniently located in the middle of the country for reshipping)
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:55 PM UTC
Some amazing detail there.
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
When I saw the pics I just went "WOW!".
That looks utterly amazing.
I did a statue in a similar way once. I was building a 1:200 model of a square (school project) and used two 1:72 figures. Turned out quite good.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
Great work, styro is much easier to work with than plaster. The stuff here in the states that I use for this, is the high density pink insulation boards they come in 4'x8' sections available at any of the big home improvement stores.It comes in several thicknesses. It is easy to cut, shape, and even sand (use proper protection eye and respirator). I have used power tools, hand saws, and dremels to cut and shape, there is a hot wire tool that micro marx makes for model railroaders to shape for landscaping. It is possible to creat darn near anything out of the stuff, all it takes is imagination and some basic sculpting skills. I created a dragons head for a parade that was 2'x3' .
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
That's an impressiv work. Excellent. I learned many things using your methods. I recognise that Airfix figure. I had 3 of them with different nationalities. And still keeping them. I think I will use your idea with making them statues
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
wow new material .we have to learn more on this !!!!! excellent
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
hello guys ,

I'm pleased that you all like what i'm doin'.
It is a lot of work but fun to do .
I'm planning to make some plaster casts of this street an put them on the market in due time .
I'm working on that as i type.
There will be an update shortly !!!!!!!

i'll be back in a few days ..
till then .
And please don't mail me with orders for the plaster castings yet i will keep you informed.

c ya

Eric
 _GOTOTOP