Hosted by Darren Baker
Have a dio ides
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:55 PM UTC
I have an idea for a dio but Iīm not sure when or if I will have time to do it. So I thought Iīd share it and if anyone is interested they can "steal" the idea.

Here is the scenario. Itīs a scene taken from the movie Shindlerīs List. Itīs in one of the ghettoīs and the Germans are coming to take the jews to be transported to the concentration camps.

Outside you see the main facade of the building, which is a multi-storey building. A basic street scene with German soldiers entering the building.

You turn the dio around and you see that the building is actually a section of a building. A cutaway reveals the interior of the building. This is the main aspect of the model since the point is to be able to see where the jews are hiding.

They could hide under the floor boards, in a piano, in closets-anywhere. You would also be able to see the Germans walking up the stairs.

I think it could be a very striking scene.
The title would be something like
"Never Forget"
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:06 PM UTC
There's been a lot of debate over this kind of diorama. Personally I would steer clear of it. I would only consider this kind of piece as part of a commission for a museum etc. Sorry to pour cold water over your idea but I would seriously consider the implications of this kind of material....Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
I think it would be very thought-provoking, and if you decide you want to, then you should go ahead and do it.

Vinnie
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC
Very thought provoking, it would be a good idea. It could be done tastefully so as not offfend those who are opposed to such subjects. If you don't do it someone else will.
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:50 PM UTC
I realise that itīs a tough subject to deal with. Nevertheless, it is a part of history that shouldnīt be forgotten even if itīs not "pc".
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
I don't think I mentioned 'PC' at any point in my answer, rather as this is an interactive forum, when one posts a message (or starts a thread) then normally people respond. I gave my personal opinion nothing less. If you wish to interpret something further into it, then that is your right. Nothing wrong with your original idea however It could easily look like a cartoon..... Jim
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
No worries Jim, I don't think anyone is trying to disrespect your point of view. We've covered this all before. It is a tough subject, that is all.

Regards
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
I say go for it. If it shows the necessary respect (no doubt about that) and distance. If one can make a movie about the theme, including all the cruelties and people still praise him, I can't see why you shouldn't do a dio ? This (besides the war itself) was the darkest chapter in human history with about 7 million people murdered. It will never be forgotten, wether you do that dio or not. I mean, no one would harm you building a Hiroshima-B-29, Dresden-Lancaster or London-He-111. For the dead, it makes no difference how they died.
In the end, we all do models of weapons which were constructed and used to kill people. If it was only the modeling, we could do little railroads or cars.

But this just my humble opinion

Frank
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 03:45 AM UTC
Not trying to interpret anything further.
Just said that it is a tough subject to do (as someone lese mentioned).
Didnīt mean to offend anyone.
I apologise if I did
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
I agree that it should be done. It is an important part of history that does not need to be forgotten. I think you could make a great diorama out of it. Good luck.

dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
I think that it would make a great diorama. In fact, I have already drawn up some plans for one very similar to it. I am just waiting until I can learn to paint figures
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC
Great Dio idea. I dont think any offence would be taken by it, its a good idea meerly showing how things really were back then we cant hide our past even if its somthing we want to forget
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
Well, I don't think many people were offended by "the pianist"... so i see no problem with a dio like this. Like Anne Frank's stroy, there could be a secret room, with one wall cutaway to reveal, and the germans can't find anything. P.O.V.
You could even do the pianist scene when a sympathetic German officer helps the pianist (I cant recall hs name)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC
Personally I would have little interest i that idea not because of the PC or historical nature. I just think it would be a boring dio. However if the Germans were busting down the door and there were some resistence fighters hiding in the crawl space ready to fight back that would be more interesting to me.
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
personally i think this sounds like an excellent idea, and ofcourse it is how things were. Each diorama tells a story, and some need to be told. if you did this dio, i think it would really be a success and attract praise from many people, i disagree with the idea of it only being interesting with some level of violence, althought that is just my opinion, i believe the story should be told as it was, not as people would like to see it. good luck with this dio
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Vignettes with subjects like this - subjects that evoke strong emotion and tell a powerful story - are among my favorites. If done with taste and tact, this could be among the most powerful I've seen.

Here are a few links to a Holocaust diorama featured on Digital Dioramas in 2002. Maybe this can provide a little food for thought in some way, shape, or form.
http://www.digitaldioramas.com/2002/issue4/dd_final.htm
http://www.digitaldioramas.com/2002/issue4/dd_final-history.htm
 _GOTOTOP