_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
the best masing tape you've tried
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi. Am going to attempt to try a 'dazzle' camo pattern on Academy's 1/25 Panther here one of these days--hopefully before too long--and was wondering what brands or types of masking tapes you folks have used and what gives you the best success. I've heard both good and bad points about the regular masking tape you pick up at the local hardware stores and some good things about either a paint and peel off masking liquid. I think somebody also puts out a 'tape' that is specifically made for modling as well, but can't remember who makes this.

I know it's a good idea to allow the paints you are going to put the mask over to dry thoroughly, and I figure by the time I get to trying this project, the base paints will have dried at least a week or more.

Anyway I was just wondering what you've had the best success with in this department.

Thanks a lot and take care, Sgirty
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
I like Tamiya's Masking Tape. I recently tried it out after using other brands and types, and took to it quickly. It's good stuff.

Gunnie
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
Gun Track is right, Tamiya tape is excellent, will never go back to the old stuff...Comes in vaious widths as well. For non critical masking..I use 3m Draftsman Tape (its like a low tack masking tape)

Quoted Text

I like Tamiya's Masking Tape. I recently tried it out after using other brands and types, and took to it quickly. It's good stuff.

Gunnie

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
3M artist/draughtsmans masking tape works for me. Sticks when rubbed down hard so there's no bleed of paint, and doesn't take of the paint underneath.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
Thank goodness I haven't had to mask too often but I really like the Tamiya tape I just picked up. I had been using regular old blue masking tape left over from the kitchen remodel. I was NOT happy with it. Paint bled through the sides and it was so thick it didn't snug down tight over imperfections on the model. Last weekend I decided to bit the bullet and get some Tamiya tape, and the little thing that dispense it. I tried it Tuesday on my USS Indianapolis and really liked it. It's so thin you can see surface details through it and it snugs down tight.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
Another vote for Tamiya from me. I was using the "blue" masking tape as well, and hated it. Tried Tamiya just a while ago, and will never go back. Great stuff.

Mike

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC
As with everyone else, it seems, I like the Tamiya tape. It just seems to be the best and easiest to work with.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
Another tip.
If there are areas where tape is hard to fit around .... use blue tack. Its the stuff. teachers use in school to put thing on the wall and when they remove it it doesnt leave any marks. I used it on my chevy recently and thought it was great. For straight edges, roll and cut a straight edge. use tape on flat areas and then this stuff over detail. I thought it was useful anyway! Not sure what it is called in the US, maybe silly putty???? There was an article in FSM a while back about this!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi. Well it looks like Tamiya wins out, hands down. Was up to the hobby shop today and picked up a roll of the 10mm stuff and will give it a try. Now all I hope is that it doesn't stink like the Tamiya paints do. Ha, ha!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Plasticbattle, I remember that article after you mentioned it, and I think it may have been silly putty, play dooh, or some such thing as that. My grand-daughter has several plastic tins of the play dooh around here, and I don't think she'll mind if pa-pa 'borrows' a bit here and there for those tight places around the brackets and such. At least I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks for all the information guys, Always a pleasure to put out a question and to get all the replys in return from you all.

Take care, sgirty
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:56 AM UTC
Play-doh and this stuff are two different things. Whatever you use try it first on the bottom of a painted vehicle to see if leaves residue. The stuff Im talking about should be available in office supply stores. Its not really meant for playing with. Its called silly-putty in the article. July 2003 if you want to check it out!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi, Silly putty. Okay. I did notice that the play dooh does leave some type of something on the hands when I get it out. Not exactly a residue, at least as I would call it, but there is something there. So I'll check out the silly putty. There is a 'silly putty' product out on the market over here that is for kids to play with, so maybe this isn't the stuff the article was refering too. I'll have to check out the Fine Scale Modeler site and see if I can find the article. Seems I also kept that article as well. But at the moment, only the creator would happen top know where it is around here. I''m putting down tha simulated hard wood flooring and the whole house is kind of looks something like a tornado went through it.

Thanks and take care, Sgirty
 _GOTOTOP