_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
eastern euro progress report
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:17 AM UTC
I have been making headway with the backside(interior) of the dio I have also "weeded" some of the tall grasses. Well here are some pics. go ahead have a peek and let me know what you think. Cheers Kevin

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
it looks awesome from both sides.the posing of germans and the interior details look excellent. congrats Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
That looks really good! All that 'Stuff' really fits well and makes it look like they really took over some farmers barn.

One really nit picky thing - the guy in the second floor loft left his binoculars on the stool!!! They could be seen and have the ambush tipped off.

Do you have the VP cart? If so in front of the big barn between the barn and road is calling out for it.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, Scott the cart should be here monday I am keeping my fingers crossed. And Since I have used a couple of the soviet troops that are pointing there guns up toward the loft door I decided to put the binoculars on the stool(sorta an mental mistake on the part of that soldier) For a reference for why the soviet troops are looking up at that door and pointing there weapons. Now if I could just figure out how to make cigarette butts. LOL anyone have any suggestions? Cheers Kevin
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
You could try with the good ol´streched sprue.
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:12 PM UTC
I simply love this dio!!For the cigarettes- find an old toothbrush! :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
Nice call on the binoculars. I'd adjust the title of it to indicate that the Soviets are looking for the Germans and not have it so much of a surprise.
-Whos hunting Who
-They're Out There
-Heads Up

Something like that.

Cigarette butts - I think Shep used wire bits, cut down a strand of fine guage wire. Paint it first then touch up after. The bend that some nips put in the wire adds to the 'used' affect.
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Fantastic diorama you have here. I've watched with anticipation as you have made your posts. Really excellent work. I'm very impressed.

One thing caught my eye as being out-of-place. The 2 Germans manning the 8.8cm Puppchen, are in Winterwhites ? Is the done intensionally, or are you planning snow for the diorama ? Just wondering. I hate to criticize such an awesome piece of work.

Cheers !!

Alpen
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:04 PM UTC
Alpen, I have tried to make their uniforms in mouse grey. I have been told that these uniforms were reversible, white on one side and mouse grey on the other. It looks a little light but thats supposed to be the mouse grey on the outside. I originally was going to make this a winter dio but as this is my second diorama and since the ground work turned out so well, I'm a little put off with trying something I havent done yet such as snow. Maybe I will do a "smaller" dio in a winter setting. But this one is just going to be late fall when its real cold but the snow hasn't flown yet. Once again thanks for the comments guys. Cheers Kevin
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:40 PM UTC
Jack, this is a hammer ! I can smell the adrenaline and hear the heatbeat. Just ... wow !!!!

How did you make that roof ?

And post more pictures please, please, please ....

CU

Frank
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:30 PM UTC
OMG that is a superb diorama! That barn just makes it! The groundwork is awesome too. If i didn't know better, you had been making dioramas for a decade!
However.... what's the story with the leaves? Has the 122 driven through a neat pile? looks like.... Also I agree with slodder, I think the front of the barn needs something....
Have you got the Tamiya Churchill? The re-issue that came with extra crew, a cart, and a civilian? Because that cart, although small, would look good. You could stock it up with hay. You also get milk urns etc. You could scatter these to make it look like the farmers left quick-smart when they saw the krauts coming. Other than that.... awesome diorama.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:28 PM UTC
Just to let you all know - Jackhammer has submitted a POT FULL of information and images for a feature - soooo, if you can hold on a bit I am working on putting it together.... You'll see a compilation of the creation of this soon.....
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
Again thank you for the comments guys, Frank-In the feature Scott is talking about there are lots of pics on how the roof was made, but simply I took hemp twine and cut a bunch of it to the appropriate lengths then untwisted it and glued each bunch into place working my way around starting at the bottom then movining up each level till i hit the peak. Its a pretty easy task just very time comsuming. coltm4-the leaves you see is Ivy growing on the wattled fence, stone wall and in the front on the wood fence. The pics posted here dont show this very well but there are others in my gallery. Once again thank you for the comments guys. Cheers Kevin
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
Thx for info, jackhammer !

Can't wait for the article. Again, fantastic work. You should make money out of this.

CU

Frank

PS: More photos, more photos, more photos, ....!!! #:-)
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi guys, this is for coltm4 again, these pics dont show the interior of the barn well, those milk cans and that small cart from the churchill are inside the barn I should have a verlinden cart today sometime I hope for the outside. Cheers Kevin
-Captain-
Visit this Community
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
That looks absolutely perfect!!!
what did you use for the grass?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Captain, the short grass is a mix of woodland scenics burnt grass and wild honey static grass. The taller grasses are also woodland scenics field grasses. Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP