_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Accurate Armor Track
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
Can I solicit some advice on purchasing Accurate Armor Track? I am getting product T12 (M4 Sherman 3 Bar Cleat Track). Anything in the "do and do not" column I should know? Can I put the track on Tamiya 105mm kit?
thanks
DJ
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
I have a photo of a M4 105 in the Bulge (vehicle #16) with what looks like T51 rubber block tracks, with track extenders. Another 105 in a photo (750th tank Bn, Manhay, Belgium) shows it sporting T48 rubber black tracks with the chevron. So, it looks like they did not have a 'standard' track. Tell me what vehicle you are trying to portray and I will see if I can find a picture of it for you.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:22 AM UTC
I have used AA track on my M4A4. I like the stuff, frankly. It is easy to use: Superglue lengths together and paint. Slide over the top of the track run, and use a blow dryer to heat it up. As the track gets hot, bend it around the sprockets/idlers and around the bottom. Chances are, you will have to use three lengths of track for the main run and then have to cut a run to size to match on the bottom.

As for track types, ANY of then except the British steel chevron or W210 are appropriate for an American Sherman or derivative. Vehicles of every type (tank, GMC, TD, recovery) are seen with all track variations both with and without duckbills. Take your pick and enjoy!

Greg
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
Like Greg had said glue up sections at a time. One more thing to add, definetly use some sort of straight edge for the length sections you glue. This will keep the tracks running nice and pretty in a straight line.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a photo of a M4 105 in the Bulge (vehicle #16) with what looks like T51 rubber block tracks, with track extenders. Another 105 in a photo (750th tank Bn, Manhay, Belgium) shows it sporting T48 rubber black tracks with the chevron. So, it looks like they did not have a 'standard' track. Tell me what vehicle you are trying to portray and I will see if I can find a picture of it for you.

Doc---can you direct me to a photo of a 105mm equipped M4 ETO?
thanks
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have used AA track on my M4A4. I like the stuff, frankly. It is easy to use: Superglue lengths together and paint. Slide over the top of the track run, and use a blow dryer to heat it up. As the track gets hot, bend it around the sprockets/idlers and around the bottom. Chances are, you will have to use three lengths of track for the main run and then have to cut a run to size to match on the bottom.

As for track types, ANY of then except the British steel chevron or W210 are appropriate for an American Sherman or derivative. Vehicles of every type (tank, GMC, TD, recovery) are seen with all track variations both with and without duckbills. Take your pick and enjoy!

Greg

Greg--as always, many thanks for your comments. How are you coming with the Jumbo project? I am almost finished with the M-26. Beautiful model to build. Let me know how you are coming along.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Greg had said glue up sections at a time. One more thing to add, definetly use some sort of straight edge for the length sections you glue. This will keep the tracks running nice and pretty in a straight line.

19K danke
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
Here's a few pics: Shermans
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's a few pics: Shermans

19K--Very Nice! I downlaoded and will use as a master to replicate. I saw where someone mentioned they simulated branches with oregino (?) leaves. Is that correct and if so where do you find these branches?
thanks
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Lots of good pics there, Kencelot. I found them helpful for my own Sherman project. Thanks.

Nic
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
210Cav,
The Tamiya 105 comes with 3 sets of markings. Vehicle 58 is shown on the last page of Steven Zalogas Concord book 'The Battle of the Bulge'. It shows tank 58 undergoing repairs, with its transmission cover removed. It looks like most of the wheels are the solid spoke type. The type of track is not clear, but it has track extenders on.

I've emailed you a pic of this tank. Let me know if you get it. I will look for some more for ya.

Ok, I have emailed all of the decent photos I could find of the Sherman 105. If I come across anymore I will shoot them to you.
Doc
91B
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
I'm late geting back to this, but DJ asked about my Jumbo project so I'll give you all an update. To keep with the title of the thread, yes I will be ordering AA tracks, the t48 rubber chervron with duckbill extenders for the project.

The turret itself is nearly done, with the various exterior bits attached (except hatches) and the long 76mm gun installed. I need to build in some perches for figures, and I might have to add some creative gizmology to the inside to clutter it up a bit should someone look past the figures to the inside.

The hull is coming along in two pieces, upper and lower. Nothing really fancy there; I need to find tow loops from somewhere.

The suspension will be a mix of kit Tamiya and DML parts. The forward bogies are to be DML--here's why: Jumbos sagged at the front 'cause they were heavy. The DML bogies can have the arms sliced and repositioned to flatten out the stance, so I am doing that. The wheels here are DML open-spokes, but I have cut little pieces of .010 styrene to fill over the holes. The other bogies will be kit Tamiya, and the wheels will be Tamiya open spokes (not covered) and TTW pressed steel dish wheels that come with the TTW conversion kit. The Tamiya bogie housings are a little wider than the DML ones, so I'm shaving down the kit parts to match the DML ones more closely.

New job is very challenging, and betwen longer hours, longer commute, and total mental exhaustion that goes with the changes Ihaven't been to the workbench in a few days. Hope to be back to it for an hour or so each evening soon.

Greg
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 04:51 PM UTC
I would strongly recommend NOT purchasing AA M4 or M3 tracks before you have not seen them.
Reasons:
-some parts are so full of flash that they only can be thrown away.
-one side of the endconnectors are connected to the resin chunk. in the best case you only have to rebuilt the nuts of the end connectors, but more common are totally destroyed
end connectors. as AA does not make a left and a right track, but only one kind, you have no chance to hide these ugly parts by letting them show to the inner sides. U have to choose
which would be the chocolate side of the kit and then add the nice side of the tracks there.
-most of the tips of the track teeth are victims to bubbles and disappeared. you have to creat them with superglue gel.

some years ago, when there were no other Sherman and Stuart tracks available I ordered about 20 sets for my projects. I think only 5 or 6 of them were really acceptable, 10 average
the rest for the wastebin. I used the nice ones meanwhile and have to use 2 sets now to make one trackset.
Please! buy anything than AA M4, M3 tracks!!

regards, tankbuster
 _GOTOTOP