_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best 1/35th Leopard Kits?
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
I am working on modern tanks now...

Who makes good Leopard 1/2 kits? I know there are several out there... Tamiya and just about everyone makes one or two version. I definitely want to build a nice 1979/80 Leopard and maybe one of the newest ones... also... any good tracks for these??

Thanks.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:37 PM UTC
Hi,

If you want to build Leo 2- for sure you have to decide on Tamiya's product IMHO this is the one of the best models in 1/35 scale (not only due to its quality- but also accuracy). At the moment I'm finishing A5 version with MILES II system. It's a great pleasure to build it
:-)
If you want to build earlier- A4 version- you should decide to buy Revell product. In fact- this is re-boxed Italeri kit- but what is very important with several new elements- like new hatch ring (for tanks from production batch: 2-8)
And if you want to buy A6 version (different- longer gun) you should decide to buy Revell A5 kit, too. You have to check it- but I'm for 99% sure that you will find in the box of A5 also the gun for A6 version and another elements (e.g. grenade launchers and MG) for Dutch version.
If you want to build the Swedish Strv. 122 version- you can buy HKCW conversion. This company relesaed also excellent plactic link-by-link tracks not only for Leo 2, but also for Leo 1 :-)
If you want to extra detail your Leo 2- you can buy engine for it (from Czech Real Model) or PE set (Eduard).

Hope it helps,

Michal
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC
I am going to Seattle tomorrow and hope to get by Skyway Hobbies in Renton.. so I wanted to know what to look for... thanks. I will probably have other questions, too...
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hi,

I hope you will get what you want :-)
Mail me- when you will have any questions. I will try to answer them.

Michal
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 07:49 PM UTC
Italeri makes an excellent Leo 1A4 and Leo 2A1(?). It is an early Leo 2. Tamiya makes a Leo 1A1 which is also a good kit.

If you can't fine any I have Tamiya Leo 1A1, Italeri 1A4 and 2A1 for sale. See my entry in the swap forum.

Ranger 74
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi,

Italeri released Leo 2A0 (or simply Leo 2). This is the first version of this magnificient tank.
If you want to build Leo 1- choice Italeri (Revell) kits. They are one of the best kits which were released by this Italian company :-)

Michal
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
Lance,

As you coming in to land at SeaTac wave at m1garand and me.

If you got some time and interested, I have a couple of Italeri Leo 2’s for you.

Have you been to American Eagles in Seattle? I’ve only been to the Tacoma store.

I’ll PM you with my phone number. I could meet you up towards the Renton area.

Dave
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Italeri Leopard 2 represent a pre-production prototype? It is better than the Esci or Heller Leopard 2 though. The Tamiya Leopard 2A5 is a great kit. Avoid the older Tamiya (and Academy copy) Leopard 1 and Leopard 1A4. The Italeri (and Testors and Revell of Germany re-boxes) Leopard 1s are the best of the early Leos. The new Italeri Leopard 2s are not as good as the new Tamiya one, but go for about half the price. With searching, the Tamiya kit can be found for $20-30.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC
Rob,

For sure Italeri kit is not a prototype. But I was a little bit wrong, too The kit is A0 version upgraded to A4 standard. Why A0?- still it has old hatch ring. This information comes from my friend from Bundeswehr- so I think we can trust him
For sure I have to admit you that Tamiya product is expensive. But beautiful things must cost

Michal
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For sure I have to admit you that Tamiya product is expensive. But beautiful things must cost

Yep, I was immediately attracted to Swedish Strv. 122 version, but when I found out the price of the Tamiya kit, HKCW conversion and the tracks... Well, it was a big turn off..

Mario M.

MichalBT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
Mario,

If you think that Strv 122 is expensive- check the price of Elite Model's Buffel. According to price it can be a Miss of Universum

Michal
 _GOTOTOP