_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Desert weathering pt 2
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 08:32 AM UTC
I got great responses on weathering a desert vehicle but my question now is what do I use for a wash to get the details of the panels ?????
Do I use a dark wash like I do on aircraft modles or is there another color or combination to use on a desert vehicle

Thanks in advance
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
Washes colors for me are always the same regardless of it's theater of operation. I use a very thinned black or dark brown. IMO, any lighter colors just will not show-off the panel's lines efficiently nor sufficiently enough.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 01:00 PM UTC
I agree with Kencelot. My washes are always dark brown. You may, however, want the drybrush colour to be a shade or two lighter.

Nic
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:15 PM UTC
Be carefull however with washes on light colored vehicles. Use the wash only for areas of clear recessed panel lines. otherwise your model will look like you outlined everyting with a black pen. to bring out deep areas or shadowed areas apray them with a darker shade of the base color and bring out the detail with dry brushing. there are usually very few areas that need the sharp definition that dark wash will give.

Josh
aKa shiryon
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be carefull however with washes on light colored vehicles

Having no experience with washes so far, I recently started to do some try-outs. I second the remark from Shiryon. I'll have to do a desert wash soon. I think I'm gonna pick a medium brown colour for this job..
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC

Just a thought ...

There's a huge difference between a vehicle that has been dirted by mud (wet) and one that became dirty by dust (dry).
Washes are great to recreate the consequences of wet atmosphere.
For desert circumstances, would it not be more appropriate to add a coating of "dust" by applying pastel chalks ?

I'm certainly not an expert in these matters, so forgive me if I hit the ball wrong here. (if at all).

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Indeed, General Failure, dust using pastels and/or airbrush is a must in modeling desert vehicles. I use the wash more to represent grease and show off recessed lines, essentially outlining the model like Shiryon said, but keeping it subtle. It looks nice, if you ask me.

Nic
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
as for a wash you might want to look at getting some Sepia and Burnt Umber Oil paint and mixing those two together for your washes. It works very effectively for lighter color Vechicles..just have more burnt umber then Sepia in it.

Scott
 _GOTOTOP