_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger II
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi all! I was wondering does any one make the Colors for the British two tone camo, or do I have to mix it myself???
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Herchealer
I used Humbrol#33 and #116 on my Chally 2 Kosovo, see pic attached

HTH
Pete
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
that is one amazing looking model. I am wishing to create the same model by using the tamiya desertised challenger 2, and instead of painting desert i shall use the paints you have suggested, however it would please me a great deal if you could post more images of your model so i get a better understanding of how to get a class looking model like yours.

thanks
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
As Requested

Pete
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
i am drueling!!!!!!

do you spray paint the base green colour, hymbrol 116 first then with a paint brush paint on the black camo?

Its a very clean looking tank, are you planning on giving it a used in combat look...

p.s. i am simply amazed by the quality of the painting, so crisp!..until i get my chally i am repainting my cheiftain in 33 black and closest i got 98 green!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi William
The kit is all brush painted,first the green then the black.The shiny bit on the dozer blade is humbrol polished steel painted on then rubbed over with a cotton bud.I will get round to weathering it one day.
HTH
Pete
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
Pete, you have a nice, very, very nice garbage box
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:28 AM UTC
No sorry,
But it is very easy to take good pics from kits.
Take some paper to make a background, and your models will look better.

Here is a exemple totally off topic :

With a neutral background it will better.
Cheers
pascal
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
Pascal
I know exactly what you mean and I must try taking better pics.It would help though if my digicam would take closeups.
Pete
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With a neutral background it will better.
Cheers
pascal

nah i like the wheelie bin better! :-)

cheers

joe
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:54 PM UTC
what model kit is that, that you have used?...like i said previously i am thinking about getting the tamiya desertised chally 2 and just painting the black and green with no decals. Basicaly what i am looking for is a chally 2 with the front and side sirt aplique armour. I have not seen any chally 2's using the aplique armour in 2 tone camo, or used in kosovo so i am not sure if the ones in kosovo use the material underneath the side skirts as seen in iraq, or any of the vent looking addons on the turret. If you could fill me in on what a real kosovo chally 2 uses, or a pic of 1 it would be appreciated

p.s. what hymbrol number did you use on your op.telic chally 2?
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi, on the subject of closeup photography, do you have a macro mode on your camera (usually symbolised with a flower)? If so, this will give you a much better closeup capability.

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
whisky-delta,

the tamiya kit would be fine for a kosovo machine, provided you cut the fabric sideskirts off of the side armour plates.

also the thermal exhausts may not have been used, i would check that before you use them

cheers

joe
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:01 AM UTC
William

Quoted Text

what model kit is that, that you have used?...like i said previously i am thinking about getting the tamiya desertised chally 2 and just painting the black and green with no decals. Basicaly what i am looking for is a chally 2 with the front and side sirt aplique armour. I have not seen any chally 2's using the aplique armour in 2 tone camo, or used in kosovo so i am not sure if the ones in kosovo use the material underneath the side skirts as seen in iraq, or any of the vent looking addons on the turret. If you could fill me in on what a real kosovo chally 2 uses, or a pic of 1 it would be appreciated

p.s. what hymbrol number did you use on your op.telic chally 2?

The kit used is the Trumpeter Challenger 2 Kosovo,you have the option of either adding the dozer blade or the nose armour.
For pics of the Challenger 2 in the Balkans try here

Queens Royal Hussars

Paint used on my Op Telic Chally 2 was revell #16

Quoted Text

Hi, on the subject of closeup photography, do you have a macro mode on your camera (usually symbolised with a flower)? If so, this will give you a much better closeup capability.

Hi Winchweight, unfortunately my digicam doesn't have a macro facility on it

Pete
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
i have decided not to cut off the skirting or discard the thermal exhausts, i would think they would be used every where in a crisis/war zone as they are designed to reduce the thermal signature of the exhausts. I was thinking about it for a while but i decided i didnt want to cut up my model just in case i make a mistake. However i am stuck when it comes to painting them. In terms of the extra turret front plates and side vents i shall paint those as if they were not their, in the 2 tone camo, the same goes for the thermal exhausts. But when it comes to the side skirts do i follow the 2 tone colours on the side skirts down onto the fabric skirts or do i paint them brown or something?..i want it to be as accurate as possible despite them not being used in kosovo..if you now what i am trying to do
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
Can i give my mind,?

Take a good pic from you model (its very easy and not expensive)

Tommy2Thumbs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
I have been researching modern British military colours lately and have come up with some colours from official sources. I have posted some links and findings over at Missing Lynx:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=47209&messageid=1092175622

Xtracolor ( availabale from www.hannants.co.uk ) produce BS381C No285 NATO Green which is the base colour for British vehicles.

Hope that helps.
NeilWB
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
William and Joe,

If yu want to accurately represent an up-armoured Challenger 2 in Kosovo, using the Tamiya kit, then you are going to have to undertake a little bit of surgery - the front blocks of the side armour are different on the version serving in Kosovo.

Rgds.

Neil
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
good shout bout the sideskirts. Basicaly if i wanted to convert a desert chally 2 with aplique armour it is going to be a lot different to the real life ones. Does anyone know if Tamiya do or are planning to do a Kosivo style one? I understand that trumpeter do one but the fact i have had to send my trumpeter op.telic model back due to parts missing, i am not planning on purchasing one again. I think the plastic is thinner and cheaper and accuracy to detail is a problem, i onky realy trust Tamiya, so do they do such a model?

I would value your opinions on whether or not a Tamiya desertised chally 2 converted to 2 tone camo would be any good and worth while!
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC
well just for a update i have now got my Tamiya Challenger 2 and am procedeiing to put this well manufacrured model together. It is 110% better than the Trumpeter model, much more high quality. i am ready to undercoat my hull tommorow and commence the green and black painting!

_GOTOTOP