_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Russian Anti Tank Dog (pic)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
Ola People

Since this was about Disabling tanks and such I thought it would be good to place it here

A couple of weeks ago there was this topic about animals that saw service or were trained to do specific tasks. The story of the Mine attaching Dolphin and next to it the story of the So-called Anti Tank Dog. Some people laughed about it but I managed to find a pic together with some additonal Information.

A soviet dog mine in training, or so it would appear. What is interesting about this picture is that although the training tank does not have a real gun, its turret appears to be that of the T-34/85. The T-34/85 was not introduced until 1944, yet dog mines were supposed to have been withdrawn in 1942!

A bit more additional information:
Dog Anti-Tank Mine
The simplicity of the dog mine must have been appealing concept in 1942 when the Russian army was still hard pressed fighting to keep the German invaders in check. The basic idea was that the dog carried on it's back a wooden box or packets containing explosives strapped on with a harness. The dogs were then trained to run underneath enemy tanks and in doing so they would tip back a vertical wooden lever on their backs, which would detonate the explosives, much to the surprise of the German tank crews and the dogs.

This however, was one simple idea that did not work terribly effectively in combat. As the dogs were trained by placing food under Soviet tanks they would run to the familiar smells and sounds of any Soviet tanks in battle rather than the strange smells and sounds of the German tanks, and with hindsight, one would also expect that in battle a dog would run anywhere but towards a moving tank firing overhead, and in doing so become a menace to everyone else on the battlefield.

The German army quickly learned of the Soviet hundminen and so spread throughout the ranks information that all Russian dogs likely to be encountered were probably rabid and so should be shot on sight. As a result all dogs virtually disappeared from the Eastern Front in the ensuing few days, making the use of dog mines all the less feasible.

Dog mines did have some success, but once their dangerous drawbacks were realised they were not used after 1942. Some reports on the Soviet Army after 1945 still contained references to dog mines however, and there were also reports of dog mines as having been used by the Viet Minh (fighting in Indo-China) in the late 1940s.

And a bit more information About how they were trained
Dog Mine (Soviet) Explosive (Wracking) 20 mm (Approx.)
The Russian Dog Mine is described in The Book of Heroic Failures Volume I. The weapon was supposed to work as follows: The dogs were kept hungry, and they were only fed underneath running tanks, to familiarize them with the high noise level. The dogs were then trained to get used to carrying a large weight of explosives (T.N.T.) strapped to their backs and sides. In operation, the dogs would be taken to the battlefield, and released when enemy tanks were clearly visible. The dogs would run underneath the enemy vehicles, expecting to be fed, and the device would be set off with catastrophic results for the tank, and the unsuspecting animal, of course.

In actual use, the device did not work as planned. The dogs had been trained underneath Soviet tanks, and they only expected to be fed there, not underneath enemy vehicles. As a result, when they were first deployed in 1941, the dogs immediately made a beeline for the nearest Soviet vehicles. Apparently, an entire tank division had to be withdrawn from the combat zone until the infantry had shot all the uncontrollable mine dogs.

And if you think that is weird Check with the Russians did with their mice
The Russian Anti Tank Mouse

Guess they were the reason that Tamyia Puts cats in a lot of tank kits.

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
Yes! I read about this several years ago and was fascinated by it.

You can read about it in Paul Carells book about the Eastern Front I believe.

Thanks for the photo (as the caption states, we can't be sure of what exactly is shown), this is awesome as I have been interested in it but without much info.

Steve
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC
Ola Sniper

I too was a little sceptic about it the first time I heard it but I had read several reports of it though I had never seen a pic. But this is quite some eveidence you can`t get around and after reading the story of the Anti Tank mice I think the dog isn`t that strange after all

DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
ok, I could not believe the AT dog, but then when I saw your pic I then thought it was true, but then the AT mice, now, thats crazy, but I started to believe, but then they say dogs scorted the mice to the AFV to avoid getting eatten by cats, now that I couldn't believe.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
Robert's post reminded me of an in-progress diorama that features mine-dogs over on Missing Links. Check this out, guys -- it's awesome! I can't wait to see it done.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=110741&messageid=1083104266

OK, the Soviet mice thing was a bit over the top. I hope no one actually takes it seriously!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Ooooh really nice dio

Good to see that Per Olaf Lund is again working on a masterpiece.

_GOTOTOP