_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centaur colour question
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hey guys, I feel realy dumb asking this as this is my second Centaur. But I'm forced to ask after one on the this site earlier. Is Tamiya semi correct in saying that the centaur was is Flat earth or is it the khaki drab like the rest fo the brit armour from WW2?? STUG
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 07:23 PM UTC
As I've never seen a colour picture of a Royal Marines Centaur I'm not 100% certain, but in b&w pics they do seem to be a lighter colour than other gun tanks when seen together.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 07:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the qucik reply, I looked on AA's sit and can't tell it looks like it could be both. From that pic it could be either Dark earth or Dark green. This is getting annoying. STUG
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bellman was originally supplied to the British painted in a overall colour of dark green - possibly middle bronze green or an American equivalent - or even possibly in British olive drab. I have my doubts about American olive drab as this was a brownish green colour and should showup as a lighter colour in black and white. This colour can be seen as the green rectangle behind the WD number.

The original green colour is also visible on the attachment points of the sandskirts that seem to have been lost, quite recently, before the tank was knocked out. The colour is also visible where shell splinters have knocked of the paint on the left-hand slide.

British vehicles at this stage of the war were painted in a "Caunter" type of scheme. This comprised of three basic colours:

BSC 61 Light Stone as the basic colour, (a sand colour).

BSC 28 Silver grey, (light green-grey)

BSC 34 Slate, (dark green-grey)

Nowhere, have I come across any blue or blue-grey colour. I think that it would make an interesting subject to try and determine where this dreadful colour came from, anybody interested?

I see two colours on this tank - the overall light stone, and possibly slate or silver grey but not both. This seems to be a sub-Caunter scheme of which there are quite a number of variants to be seen.

Hi Stug. The quote is taken from an article on Hyperscale called "Bellman - The Story of a Stuart" by by William Marshall. I, personaly dont know much about this scheme but this guy has done quite a bit of research and put some thought into it, so is as good a reference as needed possibly. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.
I searched Hyperscale to find the link, but it doesnt seem to be there anymore. I "save the page" when I get articles like this. I can send you a copy of this if interested.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thanks PB, but it seems to be about Stuarts that were sent to Britain for their use. that scheme he's talking about is the one worn on many stuarts in N. Africa. Why couldn't the brits just deside on one colour for their tanks?? STUG
Tommy2Thumbs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:27 PM UTC
For British AFV colours check here:
http://www.mafva.org/resources.asp

The colour scheme from Apr 1944 was Olive Drab SCC15, which is a greener shade than US Olive drab. However, Centaurs appear to have been left in the previous standard overall colour of brown SCC2 judging by this colour pic:
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:29 PM UTC
It's doubtful whether Stuart colour schemes would ever be applicable to the RMASG vehicles anyway.
1)'Bellman' was used in the desert, and the RMASG Centaur in Normandy.
2) The Stuart was a US-supplied vehicle, whereas the Centaur was UK manufactured.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
There seems to be some kind of consensus that some Centaurs were repainted in scc15 and others were left scc2...I used humbrols 26 with a bit of green added to it . I certainly wouldn't use tamiya's Earth straight out of the bottle .try this site for more info on the right color...
http://www.mafva.org/britishcamo3.asp

Rick
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
Bear, can you do me a favore and translate that into Tamiya colours? Humbrol is very unavailable. Also would that be closer to The Dark Brown The RAF used. I have a couple of bottles Lying around for A P-40, and seems close to Earth with Green added. Again Help!!!! STUG
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
Gosh ...I use Tamiya paints all the time but for that kit I went back to humbrol because I didn't see a good match in the Tamiya line....I guess you could get there using the earth color and their Khaki drab ...I think you'll have some tests to do.. And anyways with all the weathering even if it isn't exactly right I'm sure it will be close. Have fun with it .

Rick
p.s. Have fun with those decals ..(hint...cut them into smaller usable lengths and don't add the the lifting rings till after the decals.)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
Rick I did this one before but felt the flat earth colour to be off a bit. I love the decals though. my only problem is they are thick, gonna need a lot clear gloss and flat to even them out. STUG
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
All centaurs that served with the RMSG were in Khaki Brown. They were left in this shade because they were never intended to go inland. But Monty changed that and had their engines refitted. They were originally to stay on board LST's and provide off shore fire support.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Well the question still stands and it comes to this..... Is raf Dark earth close???? If not, what colour available to modelers is close? Next what would be the mix ratio for Tamiya paints? Asmy 2 choices for paint are Gunze and Tamiya. STUG
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
Sorry stug .... surfing late at night is not a good idea.
You were asking about the colours for a centaur and I supplied some info on the Caunter paint scheme. Tirednesss may cause dyslexia!! #:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
Nope not very close with the dark earth color ..sorry to say..needs to be more Khaki in color .

Rick
 _GOTOTOP