_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M-3 lee
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
okay short and sweet how come some M-3 Lees I have seen have the counter weight BuT tamiya did not give one for kit. I know it can made . Should one be added or not
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
The original M3 Lee had the M2 75mm (derived from the French field gun). It was 84" long and required a counterweight so it could operate with the then revolutionary gyrostabilization system that kept the gun at a certain elevation while on the move. The gyro system was developed to work with the longer barreled M3 75mm gun which was 110" long. The barrel was lengthened to increase muzzle velocity, but since the tank was still considered an infantry support weapon and not an anti-tank weapon, the M2 was considered adequate and still used although it was being phased out in favor of the M3.

Bottom line, add the counterweight if you wish, but shorten the barrel if you do. BTW the Airfix 1/32 scale Lee and Grant kits contained the short barreled gun with counterweight. Hopefully someone will one day re-do a Lee/Grant in 1/35, much like the Stuart was redone. The Lee is my favorite tank.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 06:38 PM UTC
Okay now I see the Difference. Will do acheck on the web for some pics of both. Thanks
Rob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The original M3 Lee had the M2 75mm (derived from the French field gun). It was 84" long and required a counterweight so it could operate with the then revolutionary gyrostabilization system that kept the gun at a certain elevation while on the move. The gyro system was developed to work with the longer barreled M3 75mm gun which was 110" long. The barrel was lengthened to increase muzzle velocity, but since the tank was still considered an infantry support weapon and not an anti-tank weapon, the M2 was considered adequate and still used although it was being phased out in favor of the M3.

Bottom line, add the counterweight if you wish, but shorten the barrel if you do. BTW the Airfix 1/32 scale Lee and Grant kits contained the short barreled gun with counterweight. Hopefully someone will one day re-do a Lee/Grant in 1/35, much like the Stuart was redone. The Lee is my favorite tank.

The M3 Lee/Grant are one of my favorite subjects. There is just something about that vehicle design that strikes a response chord. Try getting the Verlinden Canal Defense Light and the recovery vehicle for the chassis. Nice kits. The Tamiya requires some work but she is basically a very nice rendition.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
We will see their Colonel. And thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
Someone in my club was selling the Verlinden CDL set for $5, but when I turned around, someone bought it from under my nose. It looked like a good conversion. Can't wait for the interior set to become widely available.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC
Rob---who is making the interior CD or VLS?
thanks
DJ
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 10:41 PM UTC
I have seen a 'new' interior for the M-3 Lee by Verlinden on www.greatmodels.com for under $30 US. Not sure if it is really new or just a rerelease. I think their Lee was more accurate then their Grant, so with a set of T51 and this interior kit, you'd probably have a nice looking kit. With the big side hatches on the Lee, you should be able to see quite a bit of the interior.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 02:08 AM UTC
Doc--if your pricing information is correct that would be a steal. I believe we all share the dread of spending more for the after-market than for the principal item. I bought the Eduard M4 USMC Sherman for $28, the kit cost me $25.....where will it end?
Thanks again
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Doc, it's a "new" set.
DJ, GreatModels has it for $29.60 plus shipping. It looks to be a pretty set:
 _GOTOTOP