_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Armor
DouggieL
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi, guys. I recently come across some diecast tanks from Dragon on eBay. I'm kind of tempted by them.. What do you guys think of those tanks? Are they worth collecting?!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:16 PM UTC
Kits or diecast collectables? I have a couple of the diecast hulled kits, the Panther G and Sturmtiger. Decent kits.

Here is the Panther I finished the other day:

(uploaded using Jim's new gadget)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hi Douggie L, welcome to the site. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I am sure the completed diecast kits are well done, and if you just want to collect them to look at them, I'm sure they are worth it. Many here are more interested in the "total package" if you will. They want to construct, paint, and weather a kit themselves, and may not have much interest in a kit someone else (more likely something else, in this case) has done. In the end, it is up to you. You may have more fun building your own. But, if you just want to admire a model, you could do worse.

Rob, that is a great Panther. I just picked up the Sturmtiger and the Panther as well, and am very happy with how they look. The Sturmtiger is getting placed very close to the top of my stash pile. I really want to build that one soon. I hope I get as good a result as your Panther. Love the way you did the tracks.

Cheers,
Mike

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
Great looking tank. Are both the hull top and bottom diecast? Did you use CA glue for the details?

Chuck
DouggieL
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
I build lots of plastics models, but I'm not a very good painter, I must admit. I found the diecast collectible tanks from Dragon looks quite good. I was thinking of getting them out of the box and assimilating them into several diorama I've been working on.. Have you guys have any first hand experience with those dragon armor tanks? If so, how do they look and feel? are they high on authenticity? thanks for sharing your thoughts guys..

hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
I collect the Dragon 1/72 Armor and have a pretty good sized collection.. I also build the Dragon kits.. The Diecast and the kits are exactly the same.. The Diecast armor is actually the built form of the kits.
I have a Porsche Turret King Tiger in my gallery that I recently finished, and putting zimmerit on that braile-scale tank is a job.. :-) The Jagdpanther in the background was actually a repaint of one of the Armor diecast tanks...
DouggieL
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I collect the Dragon 1/72 Armor and have a pretty good sized collection.. I also build the Dragon kits.. The Diecast and the kits are exactly the same.. The Diecast armor is actually the built form of the kits.
I have a Porsche Turret King Tiger in my gallery that I recently finished, and putting zimmerit on that braile-scale tank is a job.. :-) The Jagdpanther in the background was actually a repaint of one of the Armor diecast tanks...

Thanks for your review! hworth18!! How's the paintjob on those dragon armor? Are they good? I was thinking about those tanks whole morning at work (haha..) and i really think the diecast tanks would look great in a diorama cuz they made of metal, it will look more real. If the paint job is good, that would be even better!

I wish they could do a few more US tanks though. Cuz i'm working on a german version and a US version diorama.. a M10 would be nice~~
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for your review! hworth18!! How's the paintjob on those dragon armor? Are they good? I was thinking about those tanks whole morning at work (haha..) and i really think the diecast tanks would look great in a diorama cuz they made of metal, it will look more real. If the paint job is good, that would be even better!

I wish they could do a few more US tanks though. Cuz i'm working on a german version and a US version diorama.. a M10 would be nice~~

Douggie,
The paintjobs are GREAT considering the scale. Not much in the way of weathering, but very detailed. If you are looking for Allied Armor in that scale, Matchbox remade the old CDC Armour series, Shermans, Churchills and other vehicles.. If you are lucky, you might still be able to find them at your local ToysRus.
The tanks are actually only part metal.. On some, the lower hull are metal and the turret plastic. And some are mostly metal with plastic details.. Not quite actual diecast, but for $12.00US, whos complaining..
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking tank. Are both the hull top and bottom diecast? Did you use CA glue for the details?

Chuck

The Panther's upper and lower hull are diecast and CA is required for assembly. The diecast hull is pre-primed a light gray color that matches the unpainted Dragon plastic. The back deck of this kit is plastic and there is an engine insert that fits inside. Can't see much through the little vents, but one round vent and the center engine hatch are separate pieces. I guess you could display these in the open position.

The Sturmtiger has a diecast metal upper hull only. Also the rear portion of the superstructure is diecast as well. The engine exhaust covers are preformed photo etched brass. I'll take some inprogress shots of this kit today. I was extremely impressed with the kit. Don't ask me about accuracy questions though. I couldn't answer it on German armor.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks Rob.
I may have to try one of those.
Chuck
DouggieL
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:21 PM UTC
Since there are so many diecast tanks out there, and they are all exceptionally good.. Which one is your favorite?! I like Corgi's variety, Unimax's detail, Dragon's price and detail, and Minichamp's paintjob (but not the price ). What do you guys think?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
The most attractive I have seen are probably the 'Forces of Valor' series. Particularly attractive (in my opinion) is their Matilda II....YUM!...Jim
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since there are so many diecast tanks out there, and they are all exceptionally good.. Which one is your favorite?! I like Corgi's variety, Unimax's detail, Dragon's price and detail, and Minichamp's paintjob (but not the price ). What do you guys think?

I have collected all three, but I have decided on only one The minichamps is neat and all diecast. The Forces of Valor (unimax) stuff is really cool for 1/32.. But I have settled on 1/72 for the space and cost considerations..
DouggieL
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The minichamps is neat and all diecast. The Forces of Valor (unimax) stuff is really cool for 1/32.. But I have settled on 1/72 for the space and cost considerations..

I like forces of Valor too.. i wish i can get one from each and get some 1st hand experience of them instead of just looking at them through the internet or through a box~~

When you say "all diecast", do you mean the chassis and the turret are diecast, but the accessories on it are still plastic? or everything as in the whole car plus accessories on it are all made of metal??

But wouldn't it be weird if EVERYTHING is diecast? plus the accessories? cuz I think if some of it is made of plastic, the looks will be better.. just some.. of course..
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
Douggie,
If you have a Walmart nearby, they carry the "action" version of the Forces of Valor line..
The "Enthusiast" version is the collector series that are weathered and REALLY nice.
When I say "all diecast" I mean the main hull turret and tracks are metal. The smaller accessories are plastic if I remember correctly.. (I sold off my Minichamps stuff, so I can't reference).. But the FOV stuff is mostly diecast and partly plastic. I think the upper hull and turret are metal with the lower hull and running gear, tracks are plastic.

If you are interested, I have an Enthusiast version, King Tiger, Tiger I and Matilda for sale..
You can PM me if you are..
 _GOTOTOP