_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HELP!! How to get paint of youre tank
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC

Can some one help me,
I want to strip the piant of my T-55.
I've been using nail polish remover and I got most of it off but ive stil got a lot of paint on the model that I cant get at.
Is there a spray or something like that I can use?
I read somewhere that ovencleaner helps and
what brand to use (Dutsh brands please)
Thanx

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
Mr. muscle oven cleaner is universal and should be available in most countries. Place kit in a bag, spray all over, tie knot in bag and leave for 24 hours. Take out and rinse thouroughlly and use an old toothbrush to scrub a bit. If there is a little paint in corners or seems, its better to leave it there, as getting it 100% clean is near impossible.
I have also used caustic soda. Using an old 2 litre ice cream tub, half fill with cold water and pour in some caustic. Place tank and if water starts to discolour after an hour it should be strong enough. Better to build up the quantity as if there is too much, the chemical reaction will heat up the water and can melt the smaller parts. Use an old tooth brush to scrub
Great care should be taken when using these. Gloves, face mask and a ventilated area are advised.
The simplest way, if the paint is just wrong colour and not too heavy is to spray over what you have!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
hi there..
what type of color do u use?
since i use acrylics, i used this method which i accidently found.....

i just soak my model in concentrated laudry liquid detergent with water solution....in malaysia, i use the brand Kuat Harimau (means Powerfull Tiger)
no specific ratio..i just pour the desired quantity, mix it with water....and the just put the model into it..
for newly painted models, the paint will be removed in less then 30 mins...without further rubbing the model..

for models that have been painted for a while (means the color particel have been fully harded) then, it may took longer time...maybe overnight and u may have to rubb it with a soft cloth ....

this method work best on me so far...the detergent is powerfull enough to remove my tamiya and gunze paints...

i accidently found the method when i'm trying to clean my model from dust...after wipe it with brush..i thought th model will need a nice warm bath....to my horror, the paint job is removed immedietly when i run the first flow of detergent and water mix thru the model....

good luck
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
Jan Willem,

Plasticbattel is right, Ovencleaner is the way to go.

But remeber, that it is toxic so ventilate and use gloves!

Also one disatvantage: if your model consist of several materials glued with CA (like PE) then that will come off
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html Hopefully this link will help, but I don't know what the Europran products would be. -Cheers
 _GOTOTOP