_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Questions RE: DML PzKpfw III Ausf. K
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 02:47 AM UTC
On a spur of the moment purchase, I bought the DML PzKpfw III Ausf. K command tank. This kit looks like a mixed bag, PzKpfw III hull & PzKpfw IV turret. Does anyone know of any aftermarket accessories for this kit? In particular, which aluminum gun barrel?

I assume I could buy a PE set for some PzKpfw III to use the hull parts and another for the PxKpfw IV turret parts, but I think I'll pass on those. I do like replacing the kit barrels with aluminum ones though.

Any chance this thing saw service in North Africa during WW2?
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Sorry I took so long to reply I saw the posting at work and I did not have my referance material.

According to The Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of WWII Revised edition. The Panzerbefehlswagen mit 5cm Kwk39 L/60 aka Pz Bef Wg Ausf K. Was built between Dec 1942 - Feb 1943 50 total produced. Combat Service and I quote "The Ausf K were issued as replacements for heavy losses sustained during the winter of 1942 -1943.The Ausf K were maintained as command vehicles untill mid 1944 in armored detachements which otherwise were completely equiped with Pz Kpfw IV.

So no I think they all went to Russia. I hope this helps you sir. And the gun specs are there too. It is the same gun as the Panzer lll J (late) , lll L , & lll M

Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:21 PM UTC
There was no K with the Pz. IV turret. They tried it out but it was deamed unfeasable. I think DML got the idea for the kit from the Achtung Panzer book. It did have a regular Pz. III turret however with the long 50mm gun.

Paul.
 _GOTOTOP