_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Need help with dio idea
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
I'm getting ready to start on my next dio This one I need help with, from whom ever has knowledge about the type of timber bridge used here. Things like the width would be helpful. I'm sure some of you remember this pic from before when I posted it. I am going to do a section of the picture with the bridge and it appears to be an awful big timber bridge. If you blow the pic up there is a car on the bridge and that leads me to beleive its quite wide. Any and all help would surely be appreciated.

Cheers Kevin
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
Kevin, I am just guessing mind you, but using the people on top as well as the car for a reference, and using the pylon underneath I would say 12'. The width of the pylon looks wider than the bridge itself, may 16'. As the bottom of the pylon gets wider I would say around twenty. I am no expert but, that is my stab at it give or take a foot or two.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
the base of the bridge seems to be twice as long as a man, sa that can be 10-12 ft, I would say 12ft, as most figures are based on 6ft tall man, and considering the bridge is about 1-2 feet wider, then it would be around so I would say 14-16 feet wide. make a mockup and compar it to your figures to see if it looks right
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Well I can toss in that today the average traffic lane is 12' wide from yellow line to white line. In the past cars were much narrower and the lanes were narrower also. There do seem to be people on both sides of this car which would lend me to say it was about 10 - 12' walking/driving surface and the posts are on the outside.

I also did the very scientific measure the guy and scale it out on paper. The guy in white is about 1/8 of an inch and the support under the bridge is about two of him wide, so if you say he's 6' tall then the support is roughly 12' wide, toss in perspective adjustments and 14' may be fine there.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
I'm no engineer, Kevin but I've been involved in building jungle log bridges when I was working in the plantations and I would go with the guys here who have put it around 10-12 ft. A modern car roughly ranges between 5 to 6 ft width from a compact to a family sedan and yes cars were smaller then. A farm tractor which hasn't change all that much since WW II other than in horsepower and frills is about under 7 ft. with a trailer.

If those are logs supporting the entire length I would say very roughly its a 5-10 ton capacity bridge depending on the log but it appears to be metal girders so it may take upto 20 tons or more.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys,I really appreciate it. I'm sure as work starts to progress I'll have lots more questions as to how this bridge is constructed. I've kinda figured out some of the basics when i did a google search, but it wasnt as informative as I had wished. I'll keep you posted as it goes. Cheers, and once again thank you for your help. Kevin
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
Ok guys I need a little more help here if anyone can I sure would appreciate it. The stringers on this bridge about how wide would each one be? I figure this has at least 6 stringers andthey appear to be about 1' to 1 1/2' tall but I am clueless as to how wide they would be. Any help would be much appreicated. I'm kinda stuck until I figure that out. Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP