_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Tamiya 1/16 marching figure
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
Another project nearing completion. I enjoyed building this figure. Took a little longer than normal because legs were joined in visible areas and also the jacket bottom. Tamiya must be complimented for adding decals for armband, ribbon, helmet, etc and there are quite a few extras for different ranks and spares. The usual quality and details are up to tamiya standards. A choice of heads also ... with helmet or without. Theres also some extras like machine gun and magazine pouches, so some options are open. The biggest faults in this kit are the lack of rivet details on the helmet and the M42 strap. In hindsight I should have dry fitted it and seen it was on the short side, and made a new one!
At this stage heīs ready for dull-coting and a light weathering and some pupils for his eyes. I wanted to build him up neat and tidy but my wife said he was quite handsome. Stubble was added immediately #:-) . Im not a fan of pretty-boy soldiers. the head is only placed for photos. the right hand is not attached yet either.
I want to build this figure again, but the next time... roughen him up a bit and try to show two sides of the same figure!
All comments and critic welcome

PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
PB:
Looks up to your usualy standards. Have you done the whole Tamiya line yet?
The only real eyesore is that strap that's too short, but you're already well of that. Nice job shadowing the equipment.

I can't wait for the new German Modern Tank Commander which should be right around the corner. Are you going to take a stab at doing Flecktarn or just sticking with the WWII subjects....

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
Thanks Nate. The strap does stick out like a sore thumb, doesnt it!! I can see some insane minute coming and that being pulled off.
I havent built the whole tamiys range .... YET!
Im half way there. Have to get the first two ... the original tank commander and the Lufthansa guy next. Rommel is next up .... have it standing by for when this guy is finished. The modern US soldier is not available in Sweden yet. But I hope to do that one as well. Im into WW2 armor, but I have a feeling I will stray a bit wider with figures. Id love to build a 1/16 "napoleon era" figure on horseback. Someday maybe??
But these tamiya figures are excellent value and the quality is there. I have learnt so much, painting these guys. It has improved my 1/35 figures immensly, but theres a long way to go yet!!
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Plastic pal,i also had great fun with this fig,but the MG strap is a bummer,but apart from that you have done a very good job on this chap,post when it is finished for accolades.
Arthur
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
Thanks Arthur. I went to add a filter on this yesterday before dull coating it, and I hadnīt the heart to take it any further. I guess the gun strap will be coming off now and Iīll scratch a new one.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:11 PM UTC
Nice work there, the guy might look like a "good boy" but painting is nice shadows and highs also nice.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:29 PM UTC
Your figure is beautifully painted but you might want to fix the MG Strap location on his shoulder. Where you have it now, it would be sliding off his shoulder when ever he moved. If you can move it to over the web gear strap is on his shoulder.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
SEDimmick beat me to the punch about the MG-strap. Great job PB!! I see you got over your fear of figures!! In a grand way too!!

Am I mistaken or are there really 1/16 scale horses??
 _GOTOTOP