_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
AFV Club M41A3
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
There is a good 'First Look' review of this brand-new kit at

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/

Look in the 'What's New' area. To sum it up, it looks to be an awesome kit. Too bad it wasn't used by the US in combat, but it would be neat in a Vietnam in ARVN service. Don't even think About getting that ugly *ss Tamiya kit that they've released, this kit looks to be light years ahead of that 30 year old kit of Tamiyas.

91B
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi DOC!
A really accurate first look review, and as I could imagine, they listed the Brazil as one of the users for this version, and its probably a must have model for me (to make it in brazilian markings of course!)
Thanks for the hint
Cheers
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:42 AM UTC
I've already got one on the way! I'm so jazzed! I wouldn't go quite as far as saying you should trash your Tamiya model - mine came out quite well - I'll elaborate if that changes when I get to hold the model in my hands...

Gunnie
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 03:28 AM UTC
I would never tell anyone to throw away a model! For Shame! I just meant that if a person walked into a hobby shop and saw the AFV Club M41 and the Tamiya M41, they would probably be happier with the AFV Club kit.
Also, Skybow is releasing models of the M41A1 and M42 (as well as some SPGs based on the M41) very soon. So, all of you interested in armor of the 1950s-1970s should be in for quite a treat

91B
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
Agreed - I think Tamiya's recent move to re-release the Walker BullDog with motorization gear might not reap the dividends they might think. AFV Clubs 'A3 and Skybow's 'A1 should be killer model kits - probably no room left for Tamiya's old puppy between them when all is said and done. With those two kits, one could build representatives of all four variants of the Walker BullDog...

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
I got my AFV Club M41A3 Walker BullDog in the mail yesterday - and spent the evening getting to look it over as compared to the Technical Manual and R.P. Hunnicutt's SHERIDAN reference book. In short, this model is wonderfully detailed and should result in a miniature anyone would be proud of.

This release is curious because it appears to have a limited edition sticker informing you that it includes the ARVN-style ACAV shield on the commander's cupola. Don't really know if this is an item that won't be included in the wide-release of the model kit but, the instruction that holds the ARVN addition is given as in insert in the instruction booklet, and the part call-outs were obscured with White-Out on the last page of the booklet. No matter though, any modeler could add these pieces with parts from an Academy M113 kit so equipped without too much bother.

The vinyl track runs are crisp and detailed on both sides. They'd look great on the finished model. Of course, AFV Club will have an individual track link set, but I see no great need to ditch these tracks if you're not inclined. However, there is a reason to consider the set: on the real M41, production vehicles 0 to 2860 (I believe this is the correct vehicle number - haven't had my coffee this morning) were equipped with 74 links per side and used the Idler Wheel without a rubber tire. Vehicles above #2860 were equipped with the rubber tired Idler Wheel - and had 75 links per side to compensate for the additional thickness of the rubber tire. The model kit is not equipped with the rubber tired Idler Wheel, but you could probably (and carefully) stretch the vinyl track runs without too much difficulty to model a vehicle above ordnance number 2860. I wouldn't recommend stretching the track too much. It is finely cast - you can see through the open areas of the links - and if approached ham-handed, you could break the track run.

The drawing on the box top is nice - with a compelling Mantlet Cover seen on nearly all service BullDog's - but it isn't included in the kit. There is no interior, but the Escape Hatch interior detail is present on the lower hull part - interesting. If you're going to scratchbuild the rather complicated interior, that's one thing less to add.

There are no ejector pin marks or short-shots to complain about. Those that are present are ghosts and easy to clean up for a novice modeler. No extra personnel gear or stowage is included in the kit, but that is the norm for AFV Club.

I mentioned the Idler Wheel change in ordnance numbered vehicles delivered. Present in the kit is the AUX GEN muffler arrangement over the rear right muffler cover. This is appropriate for the earlier vehicles too. Later vehicles mounted this muffler at the front of the vehicle, over the right fender at the Pioneer Tool Rack. Though I do not have the ordnance number that this change appeared, you may want to consider modifying your kit here too if you're going to fit a rubber tired Idler Wheel to your miniature.

The clipped fenders come as separate pieces - which is nice. Hatches can be positioned open, the Headlight set is of the later vehicles, and the smaller details like the support posts for the Driver's Hatch are provided in the kit. The Engine Deck Grills are nice, but not see through. They're separate to allow for easy addition of Hobby Fan's Engine PowerPack, and would only call for trimming to position them open if you elected to put an engine in the model. I do not know which engine the Hobby Fan kit models, yet, but I'm fairly sure that they will provide the correct engine for the A2 and A3 variants.

Gunnie
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got my AFV Club M41A3 Walker BullDog in the mail yesterday - and spent the evening getting to look it over as compared to the Technical Manual and R.P. Hunnicutt's SHERIDAN reference book. In short, this model is wonderfully detailed and should result in a miniature anyone would be proud of.

This release is curious because it appears to have a limited edition sticker informing you that it includes the ARVN-style ACAV shield on the commander's cupola. Don't really know if this is an item that won't be included in the wide-release of the model kit but, the instruction that holds the ARVN addition is given as in insert in the instruction booklet, and the part call-outs were obscured with White-Out on the last page of the booklet. No matter though, any modeler could add these pieces with parts from an Academy M113 kit so equipped without too much bother.

The vinyl track runs are crisp and detailed on both sides. They'd look great on the finished model. Of course, AFV Club will have an individual track link set, but I see no great need to ditch these tracks if you're not inclined. However, there is a reason to consider the set: on the real M41, production vehicles 0 to 2860 (I believe this is the correct vehicle number - haven't had my coffee this morning) were equipped with 74 links per side and used the Idler Wheel without a rubber tire. Vehicles above #2860 were equipped with the rubber tired Idler Wheel - and had 75 links per side to compensate for the additional thickness of the rubber tire. The model kit is not equipped with the rubber tired Idler Wheel, but you could probably (and carefully) stretch the vinyl track runs without too much difficulty to model a vehicle above ordnance number 2860. I wouldn't recommend stretching the track too much. It is finely cast - you can see through the open areas of the links - and if approached ham-handed, you could break the track run.

The drawing on the box top is nice - with a compelling Mantlet Cover seen on nearly all service BullDog's - but it isn't included in the kit. There is no interior, but the Escape Hatch interior detail is present on the lower hull part - interesting. If you're going to scratchbuild the rather complicated interior, that's one thing less to add.

There are no ejector pin marks or short-shots to complain about. Those that are present are ghosts and easy to clean up for a novice modeler. No extra personnel gear or stowage is included in the kit, but that is the norm for AFV Club.

I mentioned the Idler Wheel change in ordnance numbered vehicles delivered. Present in the kit is the AUX GEN muffler arrangement over the rear right muffler cover. This is appropriate for the earlier vehicles too. Later vehicles mounted this muffler at the front of the vehicle, over the right fender at the Pioneer Tool Rack. Though I do not have the ordnance number that this change appeared, you may want to consider modifying your kit here too if you're going to fit a rubber tired Idler Wheel to your miniature.

The clipped fenders come as separate pieces - which is nice. Hatches can be positioned open, the Headlight set is of the later vehicles, and the smaller details like the support posts for the Driver's Hatch are provided in the kit. The Engine Deck Grills are nice, but not see through. They're separate to allow for easy addition of Hobby Fan's Engine PowerPack, and would only call for trimming to position them open if you elected to put an engine in the model. I do not know which engine the Hobby Fan kit models, yet, but I'm fairly sure that they will provide the correct engine for the A2 and A3 variants.

Gunnie

Sounds like a beauty. I wonder when the tracks are coming out I had my hobby guy order me some at his place,but said not out yet !!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
I have the individual links pre-ordered too through VLS Corp - they haven't hit my porch yet either. Soon...

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
http://www.ebusiness.com.tw/mpkcomtw/ec/img/sca-skybow.htm

Here's a page on the impending release of Skybow's M41A1 Walker BullDog - photos of the prototype model. Sweet...

Interestingly, there appears to be a Mantlet Cover included in the kit...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP