_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to make German grenades.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
hey all, i was wondering if anybody knows how to scratchbuild german grenades. if you think about it , it seems like it would be easy, i mean all it its is a circular prism on a stick. compared to makeing a us grenade this should be pretty easy.

so please if anybody has done this or has any ideas, i apppreciate it.

matt

coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:55 PM UTC

you will need to take into account the different diameters of the wood handle, and the rim at the base of the head. might i suggest you buy some, because they are SO small, and then someone else has doen the hard work! if not, you could slightly stretch sprue to different diameters and make one like that, but it would be flimsy and weak...
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 09:34 PM UTC
thnx colt for reply, i dont know what i am going to do, i am not gloing to go out and buy some, coz they are simply not worth it, maybe i will just give it a miss.

thnx anyway.

matt
kitbasher
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:00 AM UTC
hello mattomlin

just a suggestion, but perhaps you could give it a try - matchstick or cocktail stick - use a sharp modelling knife to skin it down to the type of shape & length you need , and you could either A - clip some of those plastic nubs you get on sprues with a sharp knife, and use a little plasticard to make the rim under the top and the screwcap at the bottom, B - make these parts with modelling putty or C - use one of those little red 'caps' you get in toy capgun packs.You could also try using plastic rod and cut it to length. Very fiddly but you could try? I guess the hard part is the sheer small scale of the thing!

kitbasher
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
hi

bilding from scratch is nice, but to be honest, tamiya has a waponset that only cost me 4 dollar wich included 4 german grenades and other stuff ... so mayby you can keep that in mind...

anyway show us your results !!

with kind regards

dmd

DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
you could make one and then cast a lot of them in resin and then have a lot to spare!
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
A tiny stick of wood, maybe a matchstick, use sandpaper to shape it, the bit on top from plastic sprue.
Thatīs how Iīd do it if I didnīt have a bunch of them already and couldnīt find some.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
ahum I aggree on the tamiya set other than that shouldn't this post be in the scratchbuilders forum?

its like the 3th time I see matt post something in dio forum wich has little to do with making a dio...

or am I being a nitpick now?
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:09 PM UTC
zero_cool..................this has alot to do with diorama making beause this is all about my wirblewind dio.

matt
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
G'day Matt
I would go with scratchbuilding, like the guys said, get a toothpick, carve the "cruver" out of the handle, and use some plastic sprue for the head ( cut that down and to shape a bit too) hope it helps, Cheers
p.s. Zero Cool, what do you mean 3rd time?.........its more like the 30th :-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:52 PM UTC
P.S.S. Cruver is not german for anything, i missspelt curve, lol
 _GOTOTOP