_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Need advise
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:39 PM UTC
I was interested in purchasing an M1A1 Abrams model from Trumpeter models but I have never purchased this brand. ANy one have any feedback (good or bad) so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks in advance
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hey Army,

Can not speak for the M1, but I have the T-55.

While there are some minor details that I disagree on (hey, what out, AMS approaching), the Trumpeter kits are wonderfull and getting better.

So, we will see if this continues when the transporter and the IS-III come out!

Dave
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi,

Check Pete Beccera's article about building NTC M1A1

Pete's M1A1

Also you can see comparision of all avaiable Abrams kits which which was prepared by Takashi Yamane:

Comparision

Hope it helps,

Michal
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
Believe it or not, Trumpeter actually makes the best of the five M1 variants out there (Tamiya, Academy, DML, Esci/AMT/Ertl). The detail is accurate although not as crisp as the Tamiya kit. The Trumpeter M1A2 I have includes both vinyl and link tracks. The fit is easier than the DML kit, especially around the bustle rack area. Apparently when Trumpeter made their M1 series, they took the best parts of the Tamiya kit and DML kit and combined them into one better kit. Plus, they are more affordable and they come in a variety of boxings (all basically the same kit inside though). AMT/Ertl reboxed Esci kits and are poor renditions of the M1 series. They do make an M1E1, but box it as an M1A1.

Tamiya, Academy and Esci M1s only have the older track with non-replaceable pads. Trumpeter and DML have the newer style track with replaceable pads.

My "collection" of 1/35 M1 kits include:
Tamiya M1 (MM-224) x3
Tamiya M1 (4054) motorized with wired remote control
Tamiya M1A1 (35156) x3
Tamiya M1A1 (48201) motorized with radio control
Academy M1A1 (1345) Tamiya copy, not as good as Tamiya
DML M1A1 w/mine plow (3516)
DML M1A1-HA w/crew & interior (3517)
DML M1A2 (3524) new commander's cupola and CITV added x2
DML USMC M1A1-HA (3531) wading gear added to basic M1A1 kit
Trumpeter M1A2 (MM-00337) includes MILES gear
Esci M1 (5020) includes link & length tracks
Esci M1A1 (5021) not a true M1A1
AMT/Ertl M1 (8670) rebox of Esci kit
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
Thank you for your replys...No I can make a good choice

Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 02:23 PM UTC
OK, so now you got me wanting one of the mine roller tanks from trumpeter.....can someone give me a link to where I can buy one? I've looked around without any results...

thanks, John
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, so now you got me wanting one of the mine roller tanks from trumpeter.....can someone give me a link to where I can buy one? I've looked around without any results...

thanks, John

This one?
http://greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=tp336

Squadron also has them:
http://squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TR35336
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, so now you got me wanting one of the mine roller tanks from trumpeter....

Who wants a tank with farm tools on it? Just makes you a slower target for enemy gunners.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
SABOT, Did we have a bad expeience with the mine roller/plow or something. J/K!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your really dont like that on the beast, do you. #:-) #:-) #:-)

Army,
My store has quite a few of the Trumpeter M1A2 in stock. Give the store a call at 817-267-0991. Tell them I sent you. Or just go to our web sight and drop an e-mail of to them.

http://www.hobbymaker.com
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
[/quote]Who wants a tank with farm tools on it? Just makes you a slower target for enemy gunners. [/quote]

Believe me, I know.... I pushed one of those dern things around for 3 years in Ft Lewis. They actually use them as opposed to other places that just let 'em sit and rust. Went through 2 transmissions and 4 engines (they never replace it all at once) before we turned them in.

I hated them the whole time, BUT, I did get the chance to blow into Shugart-Gordon at JRTC.
I ran through at least 20 strands of concertina, 4 trucks, 2 jeeps, and the OC stopped me right as I was about to run over a Huey.

I'm gonna build a replica of Mine.

John
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
We used them often. The plows were a nightmare. The lifting straps always snapped because of a combination of dry rot and too much weight on the mold boards. Takes a lot of training to get a crew proficient in maneuvering the vehicle with the plow on it. The rollers were a different story. Each battalion was issued a 5 ton truck (tractor) and a rebuilt M172 flat bed trailer to haul them around in. It took the winch on the 5 ton to load/unload the rollers. Theoretically, the 5 ton unhooked, set ramps on the side of the trailer and used the winch to off load. Helped attach the roller to the tank, then hooked back up to the trailer to leave. The tank went about its mine clearing duties and reversed the process to bring the rollers to the motorpool. We just used the M88 to on/off load. Rollers were a very big pain in the butt.
 _GOTOTOP