_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
P-51D vs. BF-109 (need feedback)
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
hey what do you guys think of this diorama that i built. Everything is done except for detailing the box, and i'm sorry for the blurry pictures.
I'll try to post a clearer close-up of the luftwaffe pilot later.

jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
I like it. What scale is it in?
Could you take a picture from farther away so we could get a look at the entire thing? Maybe it needs a bush or something, not sure if I can´t see the whole shabang.
I like the grass and dirt...maybe the dirt is a little red but I like it anyway...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama!

I love seeing infrequently used concepts, air/ground dios are not done very much at all. This is a cool diorama.
I'm a big "question guy" for dioramas, how did this get here? why is this thing positioned this way? where is this or that? if I were here what would I do? So that's where my thoughts are coming from.

A couple of things I would offer to work on.. the position of the 109 is a bit elevated for my tastest. For a plane to have lost a wheel and gone nose down I would expect the nose to be touching the ground more. I would expect a few more divots taken out by the left wing.
If possible I would have elevated the P51 more (room and supplies may have prevented this).

There was an article in Fine Scale modeling about using a clear circle of styrene and drybrushing or etching on props to replace the static props on the P51. This would show or imitate prop spin/motion.

Nice overall job, keep us posted on your work.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
Adding to what Scott pointed out. Some points of interest with the ME109. either Nose down or Tail down. The wing might also have some sheering from the stress of the crash. Landing gear..... Did the other break away??? If so the other would most likely have gone as well Messhirsmit wasn't know for sturdy landing gear. one way to show this would be a bigger pic of the overall seen. Right now I'm hoping for failed to go down.
On the pilot. How having him running away and some smoke in the area of the plane, it would add more Drama to the scene. other wise he looks good.

I agree that maybe something to simulate the spinning prop is needed. But then again I do leave the prop as is on many occasions for inflight my self.

A note on Markings. Though well applied I'd go for more generic markings for my downed/loosing Aircraft. Though Luftwaffe aces had some interesting marks for their planes the Arrow (Rudel) and Tilde( ~ Hartman) were not common to other Aircraft. Just mainly the Aces and Staffel commanders (usually aces by the time the P51D entered service) To note Erich Harman the pilot of the aircraft downed in you DIO was only shot down once in his career, in a dogfight Between his Staffel and 60 Soviet aircraft (30+ IL-2's, and a mix of YAK-30s and MIG-3s). The funny part is he was brought down by artillery fire.
Don't mean to sound picky, hope this helps you out in later models and dioramas STUG
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Well, thanks for your input. This was my first diorama so i guess you could say i wasn't really going for historical accuracy--just trying to make a good looking first dio. I had been wanting to build one for a while but was scared to make one because i thought i might make a complete piece of trash, while wasting money on supplies and ruining a couple good models. I'll try to post some clearer pictures of the whole thing and an up-close one of the pilot. Again, thanks for your input.
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC

once again, sorry for the blurry pictures. i will post some clearer ones soon.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
NICE, I was a bit concerned about adding trees, but where and how you put them add to the element of flight. It also takes your eyes away from the glass rod holding up the P51

The overhead shot gives a nicer view of the whole thing. Good view point!

I'm a big base guy - why spend all the time on the top and leave the base out? I would add some putty to the screw holes and sand those down. I do like the attention you did pay to the base for a first dio.

On your next one - just ask the what where when why how questions as you go and it will help you tweak your diorama.

This was not a waste of time money or effort - Nicely done.
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
here are some more that i just took with, hopefully, better lighting.

if you look closely, there are muddy footsteps going from the side of the downed 109 to the luftwaffe pilot. just a cool little thing i thought i'd add.
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
oh yeah, btw. it's 1:48 scale.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
The new pics do you dio much justice. The ground work looks better in the new pics, I must say for the base it is well done. With some practice you'll be turning out some head turning dios. Again some wood filler on the screws and this can be set aside to display. STUG
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Great layout!
I just think the P51 is flying too low,maybe you can put it higher!
brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Well, i put it low for a couple reasons. 1.) to make it more a part of the diorama. i figured if i put it too high it would draw all the focus to itself, and not the whole dio, OR the viewer might not even care about it because it's all on its own, know what i mean? 2.) i did it because i thought it'd look more dramatic in a way. If you look closely in some of the pictures the trees are slightly bent back from the force of the flyby's wind.

brandonp-51d
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC

Some of you asked why the plane was so high off the ground. One of the landing gear is collapsed and the other is still in tact. Guess i gave the 109 Landing gear more credit than it deserves :-)
 _GOTOTOP