_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
The Italeri M7 & M32 ( Part 1 )
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
In a recent post (one of the Shermaholic ones, I think), someone mentioned that Italeris M32 and M7 kits represented, in the case of the M32, a vehicle that didn't exist, and in the case of the M7, a kit that represented a vehicle that was produced too late to see any action in WWII. These statements intrigued me, so I decided to do a little research. I know, I know, Italeri has had a checkered past when it comes to accuracy, everybody slams them when they release a new kit, they aren't Tamiya, etc. Anyway, I decided to get to the bottom of this subject.

The M7 Priest is quite an old kit, I used to have one many years ago, but I don't have one now, so I'm just going to be able to write about this vehicle, not so much about the kit. If someone has one of these, please post here to tell us if it is a M7 or M7B1. One quick note; the 'B' after the M7 above means a vehicle using a different suspension then the first version. 'B1' would be the second suspension used, 'B2' would be the third, etc.

M7
The first M7s were based on the M3 Lee vehicle. They used the same Continental R975 air-cooled radial engine as the M3 and M4/M4A1.

EARLY M7-This version used the three piece differential cover with a cut-out on the right (gunside)/upper corner of the cover. This cover was from the M3; the cut-out was to provide clearance for the sponson mounted 75mm in the M3. These vehicles used the early Vertical Volute Suspension System ( V V S S) with the return roller centered above the bogie. The very early M7s had two hinged, side-opening storage boxes on the rear deck. This was to allow the jetisonable (is that a word??) extra fuel tanks to be placed on top of the boxes. early in the production run this feature was deleted, so the later boxes had hinged tops. Wire mesh baskets were fitted to the top of these for extra stowage.

MID M7-These vehicles used the 3 piece differential cover from the early M4 vehicles. This cover did not have the cut-out. Most, if not all, of this series used the M3 style V V S S.

LATE M7-These vehicles used the one piece differential cover from the later M4 vehicles. The first ones used were the rounded type, the later ones used the pointed type. These vehicles were fitted with the 'heavy-duty' V V S S. This is the well known 'Sherman' suspension with the trailing arm return roller. Most of the Late M7s will have this suspension. The late vehicles had folding armored sides to cover the tips of the vertically stored ammo. Armor flap kits were developed and issued to troops in the field to retrofit existing vehicles.

3490 M7s were built between April 1942 and 1945.

M7B1
The M7 was based on the M3 Lee. The M7B1 was based on the M4A3 Sherman and used the same Ford V-8 as this vehicle. All of these vehicles used the trailing arm return roller V V S S and one piece differential covers.

826 M7B1s were built between March 1944 and 1945

It is probably going to be impossible to tell if a Priest is a late M7 or a M7B1 without looking at the engine, rear deck or rear hull/exhaust area. In the Zaloga & Balin Concord book " D-Day Tank Warfare" ,on page 61, there is a picture of a M7 unit deploying. The M7 nearest the camera has what looks like a pointed, one piece differential cover, a trailing arm return roller V V S S, and folding armor sides. This pictured is dated 20 August 1944.

I guess my point is that the Italeri M7 represents a late M7, but late is a relative term. Late, in this case, means Mid 1944 to 1945. I'm not sure if the Italeri kit is a M7 or M7B1, but from what I have figured out I think both versions served throughout the Western Allies assualt on Europe and therefore saw plenty of action.

Wow, ok, that's a long post. I'm going to split these up so the post on the M32 will be a seperate post.
Doc
91B

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
Doc I believe the Italeri kit is the late M7 It has the exhaust deck and air cleaners the same as the M4 and M4A1 It's been awhile since I've seen the kit as well Now the M32 from Italeri has the "Big Hatch" as seen on the M4A1 's that had the T-23 w/76 mm As far as I know that type wasn't put into production I could be wrong
Chad
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
Ahh, I see. The pictures I have of M32B1s that show the hull hatches show the smaller hatches. I know the larger hull hatches on the M4A1 76mm were designed to clear the larger T23 turret. I guess the question is were any 76mm armed M4A1s turned into M32B1s? I can't find anything that says yes or no, either way. Anyone else have any ideas?

Doc

91B
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
Yes, the M7 was based off of an Italian M7 used after the war. Even the decal options give a German marked vehicle circa 1960.

As far as the M32 TRV, I don't know about that particular variant, but overall, the M3 and M3A3s were converted into M31 and M31B1s. The M32 series were purpose built due to the limited number of M3s available. They were not converted, per se, but rather factory built to a specific variant. In other words, damaged or obsolete Shermans were not converted into M32s, the M32 came that way off the assembly line.

Here is the info I have on the M32, originally developed as the T5:
T5=based on the M4 chassis and becomes the M32
T5E1= based on the M4A1 chassis and becomes the M32B1
T5E2= based on the M4A2 chassis and becomes the M32B2
T5E3= based on the M4A3 chassis and becomes the M32B3
T5E4= based on the M4A4 chassis and becomes the M32B4

When the HVSS was added, the vehicles became the M32A1, M32A1B1, M32A1B2, M32A1B3, M32A1B4. The first five made were M32B2s and the majority were M32B1s.
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
My sources say that 3396 M4A1s (76mm, Wet) were produced by Pressed Steel Car Co. from Jan 1944 to June 1945. 1055 M32B1s were produced between Dec 1943 and May 1945. My question is; Were there any of these 'big hatch' hulled M4A1s made into M32B1s? Or was the company making the M32B1s making the hull themselves?
Doc

91B

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
Yo Doc,

I'm assuming you got those production numbers and dates from Hunnicutt's Sherman.

I think they used older, small-hatch hulls to build those M32A1s and here's why: the big-hatch hull was designed for the wet stowage and the 76mm turret. The small hatches would not clear the overhang on the turret. They probably had hundreds of small-hatch hull castings sitting around when the conversion was made to accommodate the 76mm gun and its big turret. Look at the Sherman factory photos on the AFV Interiors Website and you'll see the stacks of hulls waiting to be finished.

If you have Hunnicutt, look on page 477 at the M32A1B3. Even this apparently very late M32B3 with HVSS added (to make it an M32A1B3) has small hatches. Only when they started building M74s do you start to see the big hatches. I think that the original M32 design may also have made it necessary to use small-hatch hulls, and that only the redesign to the M74 made it possible to use a large-hatch hull.

Of course, there may have been a few big-hatch M32B1s out there, but I have yet to see a photo of one. But, it may have happened.

I learned a long time ago: Never say never with Shermans.

Until a couple years ago, it was generally held as gospel that big-hatch M4A1s never had 75mm gun turrets (except the DD M4A1s, which HAD to have the smaller turret and gun to clear the skirt). Then, lo and behold, a few photos of the rare beasties in action in Europe turned up. Mike Canaday on Missing Links has collected these photos. Do a search on that site if you want to find the link to see them.

Also, the Italeri Priest kit is a very late M7 with a raised trailing return roller. It depicts a post-war vehicle by all references I have.

My theories, for what they're worth.
 _GOTOTOP