_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Verlinden Zimmerit
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
I have a couple of questions concerning Verlindens Zimmerit. 1) Has anyone used this stuff and if so is it easy to work with. 2) Do you have to blend on to the plastic once it is glued in place or just leave it?
Thanks
Recon
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Recon:
I used some of the Verlinden stuff on a STUG III and found it to clunky, thick, it didn't lay down well in some places, and it was hard to fit other places. It may have just been that kit, but I wasn't overly thrilled with it. I think I got it all on, but it was a tedious process.
I used an Eduard set on a Pzkfw. IV and found it to be incredibly thin, pliable, and very easy to work with. It laid down well and fit curved surfaces with ease I will be buying Eduard Zim from now on....
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC
Forget about etched zimmerit. Try Attak resin one. It fits excellent and has much more realistic look than PE. As a bonus - you can easily make damages, just cut off small pieces.

Cheers
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 07:13 PM UTC
O.K. first thing, I am not associated with ATAK in any manner, recently though, I edited a news item on the ATAK Zimmerit sets for Puma Models and although I am not a German vehicle modeller, I was impressed by what I saw. The news item can be seen here:

ATAK NEWS ITEM

As I frequently say on these occasions, spending a bit of time checking out news/feature items on Armorama can really pay dividends....Jim
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC
Yes, it is ATAK not Attak sorry for typing error. And small example how it looks on finished model
my tiger
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi, I agree on the Verlinden Zimmerit in Etch. I got in a set of 'damaged' Zimmerit for Dragon's new Tiger II, pre-production model here a while back, and it's is thick as compared to the Atack stuff.

Don't know if I wil use it or not. I think it would be advisable to heat the etch and let it cool naturally to take out some of the 'stiffness' before trying it. It does tend to bend easier that way.

Take care, Sgirty
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
I used the old Panther resin sheets and they were MUCH too thick, I'm glad I did not pay much for the set.
I also have used the Eduard and Cavalier sheets.
I find the Eduard to fit MUCH better than the Cavalier, but the Eduard mg ball pieces do not fit well. Advantge Cavalier there.
Eduard's pattern is probably more to scale, but looks too ' regular' there are inperfectionsin the Cavalier pattern that look good to my eye. Having said that, I've had fit trouble , parts to long or tall, on most of the cavalier sets.
Eduard do supply a zimm rake to do your own, but the resin plug from Cavalier is better.

I've not used the Atak stuff. But for my modeling $$ Eduard and Cavalier are good.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP