_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Reworked Sandbagging..
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Having started working again on my Academy Achilles, I decided to rework the sandbagging on the front I was using simple modelling clay... Opinions, comments/suggestions insults welcome.

The TOP pic shows a shot into the driver's area WHICH is finished....Jim

What I did do, was to put a strip of plasticard under the track length. Also while the clay is still wet, I put in a length of wire, to tie it down....

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

IMHO your weathering of the interior--a witches brew of dirt, oil, rust, gunk, bllod sweat and tears, that rusty-brown stuff--is the best
i've seen! Please tell me what you used?

The bags have a good texture to them. I have not attempted sandbags yet, but I think they look better if they are slightly irregular, showing the sand settling down hill, slightly swelled at the bottom.

Looking forward to more shots of them,

Fred
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
The texture is dead simple actually, some use a small piece of cloth, I use an old toothbrush. All I do is just 'stipple it on the clay while it's still wet, It might be slightly out of scale, but as the general idea is just to 'roughen' the surface... Next problem is going to be painting them... Any suggestions?...Jim
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC
When I did a sandbagged Sherman I cut some pieces of silicon baking parchment and laid them on the glassis plate - then pressed my preshaped sandbags into it with a piece of fine textured cloth. That meant that when they'd dried I could lift them up - what came with them (brush guards) could be put back in one piece fortunately :-) I was then able to paint and dry brush, and then they could be put back in place (with a bit of jiggling and some cussing too I'm afraid)
I didn't think of putting a rope across them - one to remember for the next time I think
 _GOTOTOP