Hosted by Darren Baker
Jungle foliage
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
We often see guys use aquarium plants as jungle foliage for their 1/35 dioramas. This often looks out of scale and unless heavioly painted, the colors don't look realistic. I'm working on Andrea's Preda..., er Space Hunter and planning to put him in a jungle setting as befits the first movie. I went to Michael's arts & craft store yesterday and found a bag o' plant stuff in the dried flower section. About a quarter of the stuff was big chunks of leaves that went to the compost pile, but I sorted out the rest. As a result, I have a small bag of debris and another small bar of small, thin leafy/viney plants, a baggie of medium to dark green lichen, a bag of brown ferny material, another of green fern leaves and another of different woody plants, all of which looks like it will be quite usable in 54mm scale. The best news, is that it only cost me $3.00.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
I use dried spruce and/or cedar sprigs for jungle habitat... looks excellent - just like a miniature palm frond. I allow it to dry (turning it brown), then glue in place and airbruh to the desidered color.

Look forward to seeing your habitat'1
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
I too have been using dried flowers and plants from Michael's and/or A.C. Moore craft stores. Some of them look very realistic if applied correctly. I still use plastic aquarium plants if I think they will fit in nicely with the rest of the vegetation.
 _GOTOTOP