_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DUKW
otto
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:25 AM UTC
I just read that italeri is making a new DUKW kit. I have built a vac-u-form kit made by......um. someone, but I am really looking forward to the new kit. I hope it is a good one! I don't normally make US vehicles but "it's a DUKW" I have too!!!!!!!!!
Otto #:-)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC

I'm glad there's a DUKW coming out. Not to be a spoil sport, but I do wish it were from DML, Tamiya or even Academy instead of Italeri. Imagine the a DUKW with the same level of detail and quality of Tamiya's Deuce and a half!

I have to look at the recent LVT's. I was very dissapointed by these. They are a good base to start, but they are really oversimplified if one wants to build OOB. And the tracks, I have no idea how anyone can even use them! They are so stiff and two pieces per side. Yuck. I normally don't use rubberband tracks, but not much of a choice with LVT tracks.

I see there are many aftermarket conversions coming out for the LVT's now. Reason I'm so upset is that my dad was in the Pacific and worked with these and so I have an affection for them.

Actually, someone close to where I live owns a beautifully restored DUKW that I see taking a swim once every Summer on our local lake. Accurate right down to a great .50! Would love to do a miniature of that one. :-)

Steve
otto
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC
I agree, I wish it was made by tamiya or someone else, But I resorted to building one from a vac-u-form kit. It HAS to be better than that!!!! LOL
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
I admit being in the same boat as you guys - I'm eagerly awaiting the DUKW - but wish it was a Tamiya or Skybow effort. I'd feel comfortable wagering that a DUKW by either company would be gorgeous - I don't wager on Italeri releases the same way...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
Same here, although when Tamiya releases a "new" kit that they have an old kit of, I get real nervous until I see an open box review. They rehash the M60, M1, M2/3, M4 among others and it makes you nervous to drop big bucks on a Tiger, Pz III, Pz IV, etc. until someone sees one out of the box. When they re-do a kit completely, they do a marvelous job (like the Jeep, Tiger, Pz III, Schwimmwagen).

Italeri is so hit-n-miss. I was happy that they did the HEMTT and US 5 ton and then disappointed at the quality.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
Yeah. I walked through the store yesterday and looked at their motorized M41 Walker BullDog - and wondered WHY? I have one of the AFV Club Walker BullDog kits on the way to me now and I can hardly wait for it to hit the doorstep. Tamiya could have jumped into the fray and retooled their BullDog too. I'm not a marketing guru - I just don't get tossing up a motorized revamp of the old tried and true against the new AFV Club & Skybow effort - and at the price they're asking for too.

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah. I walked through the store yesterday and looked at their motorized M41 Walker BullDog - and wondered WHY? I have one of the AFV Club Walker BullDog kits on the way to me now and I can hardly wait for it to hit the doorstep. Tamiya could have jumped into the fray and retooled their BullDog too. I'm not a marketing guru - I just don't get tossing up a motorized revamp of the old tried and true against the new AFV Club & Skybow effort - and at the price they're asking for too.

Gunnie

Gunnie--the prices are staggering. Although, I will admit that the recent Tamiya M-26 release (which is in my greedy little hands)was a steal at $27. Beautiful kit by the way. Let me slip back to the Italeri LVT for a second. Is anyone making an aftermarket set of tracks given that most people say the OOB ones are terrible?
thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie--the prices are staggering. Although, I will admit that the recent Tamiya M-26 release (which is in my greedy little hands)was a steal at $27. Beautiful kit by the way. Let me slip back to the Italeri LVT for a second. Is anyone making an aftermarket set of tracks given that most people say the OOB ones are terrible?
thanks
DJ

No one is making a set of replacement tracks for the LVT's as far as I've heard. Interesting too - as that's the biggest detractor in the kit. All the other stuff is par for the course. I guess you've gotta get in the aftermarket detail / replacement sets that cost 150% more than the original kit - before - you actually offer up a correction set to make the basic kit easier to assemble for most modelers.

Again, as I stared at Tamiya's motorized BullDog, I wondered why. I haven't received my M26 Pershing yet from HLJ - but like you mentioned - I got it at $26 bucks! It floors you, as it won't retail for that when it hits the local hobby shop. I don't mind waiting for it - as I already have too many things going on as it is - like most modelers on Planet Earth. Certainly a retooled BullDog would come in a little lower than the $26 dollar Pershing. That motorized BullDog costs more than the new M26 Pershing from HLJ.

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC

To be honest, the cost of a kit for me has little meaning in my decision to buy what I want. (As long as were talking under $50 here for an injection molded kit.)

So for a good kit of a vehicle I want to build, I'm happy to pay $35 if it's a decent box full of plastic.

Some people try to make the argument that since Italeri is about $10 - $15 cheaper than a Tamiya kit, it's a better value. I would rather pay $20 more to have a nice LVT (or DUKW) than have to scratch build half the thing or spend another $60 in aftermarket just so I can come close to having what's on the box art.

I know that some will say improving the model is fun and part of the joy of the hobby and I agree. But, I don't think it's unreasonable for those who wish to build OOB to get something nice with minimal scratching. I mean, the technology is certainly there as well a dearth of new research material.

This is true of all manufactures. Those old Tamiya motorized things are the pits.

The track situation on the LVT is really BAD. There a just no options. Just as bad are the gun mounts, shields and .30s. Wow! What are those people thinking?

My alligator is half assembled and I think it might stay that way. My LVT 4 is unstarted and will be until I invest in an aftermarket set.

Maybe Italeri will hit a homerun with the DUKW. Hey, at least theres no tracks for them to ruin on this one!

Steve
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Like Rob had said...it'll be hit or miss with the DUKW. I'd hate to chop Italeri's head off before we get to see it. (Fingers crossed). We'll have to hurry up and wait.
Still, I give Italeri credit for doing one that had not yet been done...(injection that is.) Who knows, maybe it'll light the fires of ceativity on the other manufacturers drawing boards.
otto
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still, I give Italeri credit for doing one that had not yet been done...(injection that is.) Who knows, maybe it'll light the fires of ceativity on the other manufacturers drawing boards

I sure hope that you are right.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

No one is making a set of replacement tracks for the LVT's as far as I've heard. Interesting too - as that's the biggest detractor in the kit. All the other stuff is par for the course. I guess you've gotta get in the aftermarket detail / replacement sets that cost 150% more than the original kit - before - you actually offer up a correction set to make the basic kit easier to assemble for most modelers.

Again, as I stared at Tamiya's motorized BullDog, I wondered why. I haven't received my M26 Pershing yet from HLJ - but like you mentioned - I got it at $26 bucks! It floors you, as it won't retail for that when it hits the local hobby shop. I don't mind waiting for it - as I already have too many things going on as it is - like most modelers on Planet Earth. Certainly a retooled BullDog would come in a little lower than the $26 dollar Pershing. That motorized BullDog costs more than the new M26 Pershing from HLJ.

Gunnie

Gunnie--I check HLJ's order status on an almost daily basis when I have an order pending. They are slow, but I can not argue their prices. I am working that beautiful M-26 DW. If the Pershing comes in with the same qualities then it is well worth the investment. I bought the VLS aftermarket LVT kit and trust that will spruce up what others see has shortfalls. VLS .50 and .30 Cal MGs are nice touches to any kits. Too bad about that track. Amazing that one of the after market folks have not seized on that for a sure fired winner on the shelfs.
What's your current hot project?
DJ
 _GOTOTOP