_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My non-slip application idea and TMMI
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC
I just read a post over at Missing-Lynx where Marcus Nicholls of Tamiya Model Magazine Intl. admitted that he used my non-slip coating application idea on his Tamiya Challenger 2 model, which will be featured in next TMMI issue! Wow - that's really something!

For me, at least... TMMI is my favorite magazine and Marcus is one of my favorite master modelers. I used more than a few of techniques he described in his articles to finish my models - I never thought that he will use one of mine!

Cheers,
Pawel
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
Marcus has just updated TMMI web page (http://www.tamiyamodelmagazine.com) with some in-progress photos of his Challenger 2. Here is one showing the "Mr Surfacer non-slip coating" :

Rgds,
Pawel
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi Pawel,
Actually, that issue has been out for a few weeks (at least in Victoria) and Marcus has used the non slip coating,,,,and it looked very nice, and the tank turned out great! Congrats!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:39 AM UTC
?....

I'm afraid you are writting about something else. Marcus is working on his Challenger 2 right now, "as we speak". He updated the web page with mentioned photos today, and he applied this non-slip coating less than a week ago. This Challenger 2 model will be reviewed in issue 106 of TMMI and this issue will be out on July 15th...
I have previous issue 105 and there are only small photos (or was it just one photo?) of "factory built" Tamiya Chally 2.

Regards,
Pawel
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
Vodnik, I have used your technique as well, on 1/72nd Challenger. Have not gotten it down completely, but practice makes perfect I guess. Just a question though, when you did it, did you spray a "heavy" coat or do you spray a "light" coat?? Heck, here's another question, if you do a "light" coat, do you repeat the process a few times? And you use it straight from the bottle with NO thinner correct??? Sorry for going past my "one" question. LOL.
:-)

Thanks for sharing your technique and any help to my question.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi Pawel. I also used your technique on my M1A1 entry for the OAID Campaign. I may have applied the Mr. Surfacer too thin but it was fairly noticeable after the tank was weathered. Thanks for that great idea.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
Whoops...you're right...it was last issue, and it was the Abhrams tank, and it was the Cast A Coat system that was used...after reading alot of model mags, some of the articles tend to blend into one another!! LOL :-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoops...you're right...it was last issue, and it was the Abhrams tank, and it was the Cast A Coat system that was used...

So, which technique do you find produces better results? I have CAST-a-COAT stuff and it looks nice, but I'm pondering on Mr. Surfacer method as well... Someone said Mr. Surfacer gives too uniform anti-slip coating as teh coating on the real vehicles is supposed to be irregular...

Your thoughts guys?

Mario M.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:23 PM UTC
BTW, Pawel... great to hear your technique is being adopted by other modelers... and getting to be so popular. Well done mate...

Mario M.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a question though, when you did it, did you spray a "heavy" coat or do you spray a "light" coat?? Heck, here's another question, if you do a "light" coat, do you repeat the process a few times?

I applied all coating on the model in one session, in a few coats applied immediately one after another. But undilluted Mr Surfacer is not flowing through the airbrush easily, so applying heavy coat is almost impossible. Unless you use some large diameter nozzle - my airbrush has rather thin one: 0.35mm.

Quoted Text

And you use it straight from the bottle with NO thinner correct???

That's correct.

Regards,
Pawel
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, which technique do you find produces better results? I have CAST-a-COAT stuff and it looks nice, but I'm pondering on Mr. Surfacer method as well... Someone said Mr. Surfacer gives too uniform anti-slip coating as teh coating on the real vehicles is supposed to be irregular...

It actually depends on the type of vehicle you are building. On some vehicles non-slip coating is applied in very uniform and regular pattern and then Mr Surfacer technique works best (e.g. Bradley or modern German tanks and vehicles). On other vehicles, like Abrams tank, the coating is much more rough and irregular and for them Cast-a-Coat may be better (judging from photos of Marcus Nicholls' model in TMMI). But check photos of non-slip coating on real Abrams tank in Sabot's Motor Pool gallery - on some parts of the tank, e.g. storage bins on the turret, the coating is very regular, while on other parts, like hull, it is much more rough. So actually the combination of both metods can give most accurate results.

Cheers,
Pawel
 _GOTOTOP