_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
sag and discoloration on seats?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:04 AM UTC
I am asssuming that on soft skin vehicles the seats would sag in the middle form all the use they get (bum prints) . How would I be able to model such an effect and/or paint it. My idea was to sand a shallow "bowl" in the seat then paint lighter colour than seat. What ways have you come up with? In factt I can't recall seeing this effect on models..am I missing something?
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
You could try an E-xato knife to scrape some plastic away. But if its 1/35 scale who's going to notice thats its not there.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:06 AM UTC
hey Sarge,

As da Wolf indicates, you can use a knife to shave the seats into what you want.

Another idea (if you are brave enough) is to take a round Dremel bit and to shollow out the depression. Sand smooth and then add added shading per your comments.

Dave
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
I paint my seats sand/tan, then cover with the fabric color, like OD or khaki. Then I lightly sand the seat portions (corners) and the tan starts to pop through. Looks like worn material to me.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I paint my seats sand/tan, then cover with the fabric color, like OD or khaki. Then I lightly sand the seat portions (corners) and the tan starts to pop through. Looks like worn material to me.

Rob--as always, brilliantly simple. I certainly am going to experiment.
thanks
DJ
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 02:20 AM UTC
Good idea Sabot.
I'm going to have to try that one.
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
Another wat is to build up a shallow layer of epoxy putty and indent the center. The layer should be thin enough not to add much change in the apparent weight of the original seat thickness. I paint the depression a tad darker to add the illusion of depth.
Scott

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another wat is to build up a shallow layer of epoxy putty and indent the center. The layer should be thin enough not to add much change in the apparent weight of the original seat thickness. I paint the depression a tad darker to add the illusion of depth.
Scott

I too think what Scott has mentioned is a good idea. You can do cushions, seatbacks, etc. this way. If you want, you can even imprint a fabric pattern into the putty with a piece of cloth or similar material. Just make sure the detail is not over scale.

With the putty, you could even do a ripped seat with the stuffing coming out. Or a big spring like in the cartoons!

Then, you can paint these and try Rob's great sanding method.

Steve
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
Those are some great ideas.
Will try for sure
 _GOTOTOP