_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Rank Structure
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
Just a quick question about the rank structure:
Why does it take more posts to gain rank in some 'services' than it does in others?

According to the 'What are the ranks for the Armorama.com Forums?' FAQ it takes only 5 posts to get one stripe in the army, but 50 posts to attain the same rank in the Air Force.

I can see some difference in the number of posts, but 45 seems outragious.

Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
You are confusing the default Armorama rank system that goes from base visitor to 5-star general (I think I am still the only one at that level), with the US Air Force enlisted rank system that goes from Airman Basic (no insignia) to Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (5000+). Airman Basic is nestled after Air Force Master Sergeant for some reason and equates to 0-49 posts.

If you check the US Army enlisted rank system that goes from Private (no insignia) to Sergeant Major of the Army, you will see each one equates to one another.

I stopped using the rank system because of the negative attention it drew from trolls. Got to the point where I couldn't say the sky was blue without half a dozen sharp shooters correcting me on what the proper shade of blue should be. Really made participating in the forums no fun.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I get it--less rank positions in the AF enlisted structure so to even things out it takes more posts to get promoted. I was thinking each service went through the whole E1-E9 AND the officer ranks, but just used different icons for the stripes.

Not that I am rank conscious or anything.

Thanks again.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I get it--less rank positions in the AF enlisted structure so to even things out it takes more posts to get promoted. I was thinking each service went through the whole E1-E9 AND the officer ranks, but just used different icons for the stripes.

Not that I am rank conscious or anything.

Thanks again.

No, you don't quite get it. If you go with the US Army enlisted, US Navy enlisted, US Air Force enlisted or US Marine Corps enlisted rank structure, it takes just as many posts to go from E1 to E9.

Some of the US Army enlisted ranks are duplicated in the original Armorama default (it used to be the only rank structure available). This is the pseudo rank structure that goes from Base Visitor to Private to Sergeant and through the officer rank structure.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
The structure for the default ranks will change at some point to reflect the rank levels for US Army Officers. When that happens everyone on default will be in the same boat as the rest of the ranks.

I will get to that....eventually.

Thanks,
Jim

PS: and Rob...say the word and I can make you a permanent Major.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
Woltersk,
It took me 20 years to go up seven ranks in the Navy. Talk about moving slow (and the fact that my first three years was laced with trouble). Heck, I have already made E-2, and it only took two months. Not bad.
Ciao for now
Rob
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
i dont understand US ranks, but whilst we are on the subject, are we going to get british ones? i wouldnt mind if they were modern or WW2, im easy to please :-)

after all we have russian ones, and theres loads more brits on the site than russians,

cheers

joe
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
I'll second that request Joe !
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
And I'll third it!!!!!!!
Pete
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC
I would be happy to add British ranks. I can do the officer level ranks easily enough. But the enlisted are a bit harder as there are not many. Either there will be HUGE spaces between promotions, or I would need to find suttle difference between the ranks to distinguish them in some way. This could be the addition of some level of merit award, or possibly a difference in unit assignment. Coldstream Guards for higher ranks? Thus:

- Lance Corporal

- Lance Corporal with Coldstream Guards unit insignia

Just a thought.

Jim
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
jim,

i like the idea of distinguising them to produce more ranks. going by the guards units idea, you could do then as the basic rank, then attach a unit patch for the guards, ie, 1st of foot, 2nd of foot and so on,

i just cant remember which one is which, other than coldstreams is second and welsh is 5th i think.

im sure someone else can enlighten me!

cheers

joe
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
Wholly crap. I ddidn't mean to open this can of worms.

Okay , so I don't get it.

In the us we have E1 thru E9 for enlisted ranks and O1 thru O10 for the officers regardless of the branch of service.
When I was setting up my profile I choose Air Force, since I am in the Air Force, and I just imagined (I would say 'assumed', but that would leave me open for more critisism ) that all that would be changed was the icon for each rank.

Now explain this to me like I was a six year old-- why is it that 'Mortis' with 19 posts has a stripe and a rocker in army rank, and I was an air force slick-sleave with 49 posts?

A Caveat--It doesn't really bother me. I had thought I had done something wrong with my setup and was just curious.

Thanks again guys! And keep up the good work!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The structure for the default ranks will change at some point to reflect the rank levels for US Army Officers. When that happens everyone on default will be in the same boat as the rest of the ranks.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
Default ranks no longer include enlisted ranks. Welcome to the equalized Armorama Rank system.

You will have to post once more to see the change take effect.

Jim
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be happy to add British ranks. I can do the officer level ranks easily enough. But the enlisted are a bit harder as there are not many. Either there will be HUGE spaces between promotions, or I would need to find suttle difference between the ranks to distinguish them in some way. Jim

Some British regiments ( I believe some guards and former cavalry units) still add an extra stage called Lance-Sergeant

so it would be:
Private (or Trooper, or in my case Gunner)
Lance-Corporal ( Lance Bombardier)
Corporal
Lance-Sergeant
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant or Colour Sergeant
Warrant Officer 2, (Battery Sergeant Major, Troop Sergeant Major,Company Sergeant Major, Quartermaster Sergeant Major)
Warrant Officer 1 ( Regimental Sergeant Major)
and then the officer ranks...for which there also used to be the rank of Ensign, before 2nd Lieutenant.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:20 AM UTC
Just looked at the new structure - that means I'm gonna be demoted next time I post..........back to light bird! 700 to 999 posts.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Actually now that I think about it, I think it will mean you will only see a change ONCE you hit the next change level (for you 1000 posts). And you will not change at that point because you are already there.

Of course if you want to force a change just go change your rank tree and then change back.

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wholly crap. I ddidn't mean to open this can of worms.

Okay , so I don't get it.

In the us we have E1 thru E9 for enlisted ranks and O1 thru O10 for the officers regardless of the branch of service.
When I was setting up my profile I choose Air Force, since I am in the Air Force, and I just imagined (I would say 'assumed', but that would leave me open for more critisism ) that all that would be changed was the icon for each rank.

Now explain this to me like I was a six year old-- why is it that 'Mortis' with 19 posts has a stripe and a rocker in army rank, and I was an air force slick-sleave with 49 posts?

A Caveat--It doesn't really bother me. I had thought I had done something wrong with my setup and was just curious.

Thanks again guys! And keep up the good work!

Because he was using the default rank that originally started with "base visitor" moved on to private, sergeant, lieutenant, captain...5-star general. Some US Army enlisted ranks ended up being duplicated when Jim started the E1-E9 ranks for the respective US services. Therefore if you were under the old default system, you made private and sergeant faster, but ended up as an officer after a while (a ficticious rank progression). Under the new enlisted system you made rank equally regardless of service branch you chose. Yes, there could be two different people with the same ARMY rank that had quite different post counts. So if you compared your USAF rank to someone using the old default ARMY rank, they would not equate. If you compared your rank to someone using the new ARMY enlisted rank system, it would equate to your USAF rank.

Jim just now got around to deleting the old Army enlisted ranks from the old default rank system. Now instead of someone out ranking you as a PFC, they will be an officer with the same amount of posts as you.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I stopped using the rank system because of the negative attention it drew from trolls. Got to the point where I couldn't say the sky was blue without half a dozen sharp shooters correcting me on what the proper shade of blue should be. Really made participating in the forums no fun.

Don't worry. I'm still a seaman and I get shot down all the time (*though thats not to say I don't deserve it)

Jeff
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
I'm all for British rankings...especially RAF.
Cheers
Peter
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Now I do get it.
So, here too, art imitates life. It sounds as though this fictitious realm's rank structure changes as often as the real thing.

I.E. I have been in the US Air Force long enough to have been a Buck Seargent, when E4 was split between the Senior Airman non-NCO rank and the first tier of the NCO corps.

Now that has all changed, along with how long it takes to make E5 in our service.

Morale of the story: forget what icon someone posting has, look at the actual number of postings!

Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Default ranks no longer include enlisted ranks. Welcome to the equalized Armorama Rank system.

You will have to post once more to see the change take effect.

Jim

Jim, I just checked out the new default ranks. Just a suggestion, but you could give the initial officer rank (0-49) of "Cadet" with no insignia and have the 2nd Lt. rank begin at 50. That way they will "get" a promotion change with the enlisted folks.

BTW, no, I do not want a permanent major rank. I don't plan on being a major for a whole lot longer.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, no, I do not want a permanent major rank. I don't plan on being a major for a whole lot longer.

Could we finally see some silver on your collar sir?If so a big Hooah!!!! :-) and a salute
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
I STILL don't get it... so you plan to add the navel officer ranks? (former LT/JG - Seal Team 2!)

And you have eliminated the army enlisted ranks? I still see privates and corporals all over, or are my eyes deceiving me?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I STILL don't get it... so you plan to add the navel officer ranks? (former LT/JG - Seal Team 2!)

And you have eliminated the army enlisted ranks? I still see privates and corporals all over, or are my eyes deceiving me?

The default rank used to include Army enlisted ranks and officer ranks in the same progression. You would be an E-8 one day and then an O-2 the next. This is the default rank he changed to only include officer O1-O10 ranks.

When he added USAF, USMC, USN ranks he also added a US Army enlisted rank structure that mirrored the sister service E-1 thru E-9 ranks.

But the default rank structure still had the Privates, Corporals and Sergeants that eventually became officers (until the other day when Jim changed the default structure). The Army enlisted ranks you still see are guys who chose the Army enlisted E-1 thru E-9 structure.
 _GOTOTOP