Pibber in the city?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi all,
Yes that's me again with a silly question (always thinking of new diorama-idea's, well most of them stay idea's )
I was wondering if the Pibber patrol boat ever saw action in urban environments (and I mean city's) during the Vietnam war.

TIA
Mark
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:52 PM UTC
I believe the right answer will be given by the members who have been in Nam before (like Dave Willett-animal) but i think there is no city in vietnam like Venezia and no PBR in urban missions.

and Mark u really ask hard,i feel i have to study harder.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:37 AM UTC
Heya, Mark,

Though I don't know for certain, there may well have been PBRs in the river at Hue City during Tet. I think that it was the Perfume River which bordered the city...

I know that there were US landing and other Naval craft present, so I would think that PBRs may also have been dispatched for protection. Just a guess, though!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
I have seen PBR's or at least some sort of patrol boats going through rivers in the middle of cities. In fact I am pretty sure I have a picture of a patrol boat going through Saigon.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
I know that they tried to use patrol boats in the Saigon area only once. The river in the city area (Cholon) is very congested and narrow. One boat that tried to Navigate it was trapped and destroyed with all lives lost. I don't think they used them after this. This was in 1967 I think. I don't know what the Navy did up North.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
I just got back from a Vietnam Reunion and the members of the 458th Transportation (PBR riverine) told me that there were no boats used in the narrow canals in and around Saigon. In the very early years of our involvement, there were a couple of patrols sent in and they both were destroyed. So they left the patrolling up the the Ground troops(ARVN'S).
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:35 PM UTC
I had ever seen many Pibbers in the Delta Mekong during the Vietnam war, there was an US Navy unit at Dong Tam military camp (the 9th US Infantry Division) nearby My Tho city in the 4th Corps of the ARVN. But during the Tet in 1968, I didn't seen those Pibbers in action in My Tho city, only in some little villages at the Mekong riverside.
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
I saw a photo, of a Monitor boat going through some very built area, around Saigon, near were they docked according to the photo, when I say built up it didn't have high rise, one and two story Brick buildings built on the water front.
 _GOTOTOP