_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What to do when waiting...
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:25 PM UTC
Do you guys build another model when waiting for another to dry, set etc?If not what do you in the down time
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 04:59 PM UTC
I certainy do! Several models at a time. :-)
You could come here during down time and look around.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 05:00 PM UTC
During down times I walk over to Armorama, or read a book on modeling.
LUCKYBULLET
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:15 PM UTC
usually i'm looking for pics of the vehicle in action to prepare my diorama.I always make diorama for the vehicle.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you guys build another model when waiting for another to dry, set etc?If not what do you in the down time

For me, I get caught into the "Zone" after several steps in construction. Therefore, there is always down-time that I get on the computer (both fun and doing some regulatory stuff), read, watch political shows, ride the Hawg, watch political shows , and of course, take care of the house (yearad, laundry, etc.).

Most of the week goes by before I have too much time to worry about the down-time.

Dave
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Well, I have three kits going right now... I've started one and got two in-line for the paint booth....
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Like Dave, I've plenty of stuff to do around the 1:1 scale home and yard.

Other than that, surf the Web or read. I think the library is second only to the hobby shop on my list of favorite places to go.

Right now I'm reading "The Bridge at Remagen" by Ken Hechler (copyright 1957). What a fantastic story -- and told from both sides. What is truly amzing is the massive failure of German C3I (command, control, communications and intelligence).

I also found a unit history book for the U.S. 75th Infantry Division that is chock-full of photos spanning from France to Holland. Loads of dio ideas and reference. I'll be burning up the copier with this one. It's called "Photographic Cavalcade: Pictorial History of the 75 Infantry Division 1944-1945." You can't find this kind of stuff on the Net.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Dave, I've plenty of stuff to do around the 1:1 scale home and yard..

Ditto.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to walk over to this site while your paint is drying or your glue is setting. If you do, it may tage AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES before your kit is finally done ! This site is stickier than CA glue !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Dave, I've plenty of stuff to do around the 1:1 scale home and yard..

Ditto.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to walk over to this site while your paint is drying or your glue is setting. If you do, it may tage AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES before your kit is finally done ! This site is stickier than CA glue !
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
I usually have at least one aircraft and one armor going at the same time. I do most of my work at night after the boys go to bed, currently working on a 1/35 T-72 and a 1/32 Stuka.

Mark
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
I Work one at a time and I do it it very well, And then I move on. Charles Emerson Winchester.. THE THIRD He-He-He ( Or something to that effect) Anyway. I usually work on one at a time. And during my down time I do come here and look around for a few minutes, Watch some T.V. Bother My Wife,.... Or the Dog..( which makes her go hide) And then I go back to work. BUT mostly while I am waiting I will look at the instructions to see whats ahead and if I notice anything that might be a possible problem. Try to see what I can do to add things that will enhance it. etc. Bascicly I do not leave the work area unless it is to take care of personal business, Or get something to drink. Or until I feel like I have found a point at which I can stop for the day.

DAGGER-1
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC
When I'm waiting for the paint to dry I usualy work on another model... or I find out it's already later the 10 in the evening and I haven't started eating yet...
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
I typically have two or three projects active at different stages, so I flip back and forth between them. Either that, or I take the time to delve into the pile of research material that I am accumulating....

Greg
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
My current work space is the kitchen table and it takes 10-15 minutes to get set up to go modeling and then I have to put it all back or my better half isn't happy, and when mom's not happy nobody is happy. Anyway because of this I have to get in all I can. I usually have 2 kits going. I have never tried more than that, probably again because of space, but I find with2 there is always something to do. I am sure to keep them in different stages to keep that the case.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 07:20 AM UTC
I find that having multiple projects to work on is good for me. I lack thepatience to wait sometimes fotr things to dry and handle them too soon, to having something else to work on is good for me. I sometimes have 4-5 kits at various stages... like my M-88A1 that needs customer made headliight guards or the Pershing tiger painted tank that I am holding off on... I just opened the Mongram M-48A2 and there is a bunch of modifications needed on that bad boy...

So, I keep busy... Oh, and the Fairey Swordfish and Stuke 88G... don;'t forget those... or, I can get on the web and really waste time...
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
I have five models on the go right now. The Cdn M113 TUA which I have been working on for EIGHT years, a superdetailed Gepard, an uparmoured Leopard C1, a MkII Centurian and MAN 5 ton truck. I tend to go back and redo old kits when new detil kits come out. A lot of this goes on when the paint is drying. That assumes I ever get to the paint stage.
LUCKYBULLET
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:49 AM UTC
fredenburg,do you have any pic of your canadian models?? I plan to build some canadian vehicles but theirs not a lot of conversion kit around.Any sugestion for me??
btw, it's good to see a member of the canadian forces! I used to be a member of the "fusiliers mont-royal"regiment a couple of year ago.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC
I have a website at www.trackjam.com. Let me know what you think.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
I've got the whole maids room in the apartment for an office, 1/2 idedicated to the computer the othert 1/2 is the modelling side.The room 14' long 7 wide, just enough to be able to roll back and forth between computer, models and my own private throne room. so when I hit a slow down in one area its just a slide to the other. I've got about 3-4 kits going at one time. some times I paint up some figures to break the monotony

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
I usually don't start on a new kit until I reached the stage of priming the previous kit, so I can have something to do while wiating for the paint to dry. Because if I start a couple projects at the same time, chance is I cannot finish any of them.... #:-)
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC
I usually do 3-4 models at once that way I can move to one model to the other and back and forth. If I cant work on anything, or am waiting I usualy watch TV down there where te models are or come online and see whats happening.

Mike
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
I keep it simple, I do whatever my wife wants me to do.
 _GOTOTOP