_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Iraqi "guntruck" project
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:10 AM UTC
Maybe I'm a bit too much optimistic but here I go : I've just received a die cast "1/32" Iveco truck made by Britains (according to the specs I have it's rather a 1/34-1/35 model ...) :

And I would like to turn it into this :

So any other pics of the real vehicle would be greatly appreciated (a ZU 23-2 AA gun is already en route....)

TIA
Frenchy
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
Wow, its gonna take some work but the end result will be worth it!!!!! Can't wait to see some in progress pics.

Sorry, I don't have any info on this truck.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
I say go for it Frenchy. I don't see why you couldn't modify this one. I haven't seen any photos of this truck before but you have the perfect host to build one. From the photo it would seem that you will have to shorten the rear of the chassis and scratch a new bed. Should be quite easy for you to do. I am very interested in your project so please keep us updated on your progress. Where could a fellow get one of these little trucks?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
I like your idea Frenchy - and - I know you can pull it off too! Do tell us where we can get that fine truck - so that me and Dave can play with one too!

Gunnie
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:22 AM UTC
No problemo !
I've ordered it from Peter Dale at http://www.britains-toy-soldiers.com
The molding is very neat, the chassis is made of metal and the cab is made of plastic. But the "dimensional surprise" was the icing on my cake !I've already started to list the mods I would have to make :
Change the front bumper and headlights
Change the right hand drive to a left one
Modify the wheels (6 bolt --> 10 bolt rims) or simply replace them
Widen the front wheel arches
Shorten the chassis
..../....

Frenchy (rolling up his sleeves)
PS : As I still don't have any digital camera yet(shame on me ) you will have to take my word for my future progress...
-Captain-
Visit this Community
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
i don't know about the truck but i just wanted to wish you good luck to the project. you got a lot of work to do man. can't wait to see updates and stuff in the future if you are hard-working.
good luck!
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC
What a nice idea Frenchy

"Au boulot" there is a lot of work!!!!!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks to you all for the support ( now I can't go astern any more ) I will need some in the future, along with a few more reference pics as well

Frenchy
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
very nice project Frenchy.i will like to see it sooner or later
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...I like your idea Frenchy - and - I know you can pull it off too! Do tell us where we can get that fine truck - so that me and Dave can play with one too!..."

Oh noooooo..........see whatcha went and started now Frenchy!?!.......Couldn't leave 'well-enough' alone could ya?.......noooooooooo you couldn't. I'm telling ya, give these guys just a 'whif' of some idea like that and....off they go!!

Actually, I really like your idea as well, nice thinking outside the box, and also glad your 'dimensional surprise' went your way!
As has already been said, please keep us posted. But I must admit to being somewhat dissapointed that we won't get to see any 'in-progress' pics......
Hey!...I've got an idea Just tell your 'significant other' that you are observing the American hoilday of ' Father's Day', and ask for a digital camera.
Think she'll go for it?

Tread.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
i say go go go, that would be an awsome experience. the cabs of the two trucks have a lot of similarities, to be honest i wouldnt be surprised if thats what the iraqis really used!! :-)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just tell your 'significant other' that you are observing the American hoilday of ' Father's Day', and ask for a digital camera.
Think she'll go for it?

Tread.

I will try Tread, but I must confess I had not celebrated last Mother's Day (we have no children) so it may be "diplomatically risky". And furthermore, buying one finally would mean no more excuse left for me to keep projects like this one on the back burner

Frenchy
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"..... And furthermore, buying one finally would mean no more excuse left for me to keep projects like this one on the back burner

Frenchy

Ahhhh hah!! Now we know the real reason!

Tread.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 11:34 PM UTC
Just when I was about to give up this project due to a lack of reference pics (my "guestimating" abilities have some limits) I've came across this picture :

You can notice the "custom made" sunroof

So it's taken off again !

Frenchy
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
funny thing I learned and took my test on on of these type of trucks in the army looks like an iveco 1314 flatbed
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
Frenchy, I love to scratch build and this looks like a great project. Is this something you plan to start soon. Can't wait to see it finnished. Have fun my man.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Even this old Dingo bait from the land down under is interested in this one.

I have been offered a few diecast trucks to use for conversions to my Roo specials and have hesitated to take them on. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
Wouldn't a plastic kit like these be easier to modify? Although, I know, they are japanese truks and not Iveco. But, it's an interesting project, nonetheless.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Looks interresting. What scale is above and where can it be had?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hey Gino. If you're asking about these two pics, they're in 1/32 scale and from Hobbylink japan store. You can search for category (Auto - passenger).. then choose 1/32 scale. They have a few cars and trucks. But the main problem is that almost all of them have right hand steering.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...If you're asking about these two pics, they're in 1/32 scale and from Hobbylink japan store. You can search for category (Auto - passenger).. then choose 1/32 scale. They have a few cars and trucks. But the main problem is that almost all of them have right hand steering.

I've bought an Aoshima 1/32 1976 Hino Ranger from HLJ as a starting point for another project (an iraqui civilian tanker truck like the one in the picture below) : the steering modification shouldn't be that hard to do.

But I think i'm digressing....(we're supposed to talk about guntrucks, aren't we ?)

Frenchy
targetdriver
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
What do you think the odds are that your two pictures could be of the same truck? LOL

Great idea for a project! You just gave me a new AAA vehicle / platform to build that I didn't even know about! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!

Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
Those things blow up real good. I shot the crap out of one. Not much left when it was said and done. I got a GAZ with the 23mm in the bed from Eastern Express. Someday, yeah someday, I'll get around to building it.. Have fun. "Q"
Spades
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hate to say this, but a kit of the iraqi guntruck is out now for $25.00. The kit is made by, may be wrong but its one of these people, maquette, allan hobbies, zvezda. More than likely it is maquette that makes the kit. It is also out in 1/72 scale. Enjoy
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
you've opened my eyes! what a great idea conversions like this would be! wow! and yes, plenty of pics would be awesome to see the conversion.
 _GOTOTOP