_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
GUNTRUCKS!! That means you Gunnie.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
Ok I need some info on guntrucks. First I was wondering how the door should be glued on If I wanted it to be opened. Should I just glue it at the angle I want or is there something else I have to do. Second how is the XM-134 mini gun powered, I think its electric, does anyone have any drawings of the wires on the gun? Somethine else I was wonering is many of the guntrucks were a few different colors, Green, Black, Olive Drab etc. So shoule the underneath of the truck be the same color like the gears, drive sockets etc.?? Does anyone know where I can get a radio headset for the radio in the truck? Last one, in the back of Nancy i've seen some models with the end on the bed laying down with extra steel added to the back was this really used on Nancy, and for what extra storage?

thanks,
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:00 AM UTC
Mike,
Here are a few sites that may help. First, if you go to Gunny's website, he has a full build description of "NANCY". His website is Guntruck

A good referance site is the Army Transportation Center Museum at Ft Eustis, VA. Their site is Transpo Museum Click on Museum Exhibits and you will see many pictures of guntrucks in Vietnam.

As for the door, just glue it at the angle you want. There was nothing that held it open or anything like that.

The headset is available in the DML figure kit 1st Cavalry in Vietnam. Otherwise, you would have to scratchbuild it.

The whole vehicle should be the same color, whatever color you choose.

Hope this helps. Gunny should be able to help further. He gave me some great advice when I was building my King Cobra Gen 3 guntruck. You can see the original at the transpo museum site.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hey Thanks for the response. I guess i'll be buying a lot of the DML kits for the headsets since I have 3 guntrucks now and another one on the way. And do you have any photos of your Guntruck I would really like to see it.

Jims Guntruck page is allready under my favorites. I dono if I have the other one or not but iam going to check it out after I post this reply.

Thanks again,
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
Mike,
Sorry, I'm still in the dark ages when it comes to a digital camera and I haven't bought a scanner yet for my good old 35mm photos.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok I need some info on guntrucks. First I was wondering how the door should be glued on If I wanted it to be opened. Should I just glue it at the angle I want or is there something else I have to do.

Mike - Gino has it correct. The doors were hung on the armor plating with simple hinges and secured with simple latch mechanisms. Just open it to the angle you desire.

Quoted Text

Second how is the XM-134 mini gun powered, I think its electric, does anyone have any drawings of the wires on the gun?

I'm still looking for the example I have at home to help you. It is electric powered. Since the heat has died down out here, I've been excited to get back into modeling again - ravaging the plastic as it were. Haven't stopped to breath yet...

Quoted Text

Somethine else I was wonering is many of the guntrucks were a few different colors, Green, Black, Olive Drab etc. So shoule the underneath of the truck be the same color like the gears, drive sockets etc.??

There's no hard & fast rule concerning colors because all trucks were unique. The early trucks were converted from cargo trucks - hence the OD finishes typical of a cargo vehicle. Then, as the concept evolved, so did the elaborate schemes. Some trucks began to sport differentials, hub rings, and tire lug nuts in trim colors like white or orange. This is specific to individual trucks - not all. 8GP G/T's are often seen with yellow hood trim as well too - however, consult your references, there are always exceptions based on when the photo was taken.

Quoted Text

Last one, in the back of Nancy i've seen some models with the end on the bed laying down with extra steel added to the back was this really used on Nancy, and for what extra storage?

The steel boxes were common to artillery unit AA-trucks - of which was "Nancy's" breed. Most have the centers cut out - I believe for weight savings - and were inserted into the cargo bed likely to distrubute the weight of the towed trailer and quad mount when emplaced and fired. The boxes also carried the two ramps necessary to muscle the towed trailer up into, and down out of, the cargo bed of the truck. Most AA-trucks had a winch mounted to the front of the steel box (think Dragon Wagon) to pull the towed trailer up the ramps and into the cargo bed.

Hope this answers your questions - and generates more

Gunnie
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Thanks for all of you help Jim now I can finish up my guntruck. And dont worry I should have some more questions about guntrucks down th road sometime or later. Just wanted to tell you something. On the Model Valley gunturck conversion I put a shield in the back for the Mini Gun and I had an extra set of Eyes from the "NANCY" kit and put em on there it looks pretty Evil. I was thinking about puttins some on the 50cal shield but I havent found any yet. And I was talking to I believe James Lyles who did the Eve Of Destruction, and he is coming out with a new guntruck book. do you know about this?

Thanks again,
Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all of you help Jim now I can finish up my guntruck. And dont worry I should have some more questions about guntrucks down th road sometime or later. Just wanted to tell you something. On the Model Valley gunturck conversion I put a shield in the back for the Mini Gun and I had an extra set of Eyes from the "NANCY" kit and put em on there it looks pretty Evil. I was thinking about puttins some on the 50cal shield but I havent found any yet. And I was talking to I believe James Lyles who did the Eve Of Destruction, and he is coming out with a new guntruck book. do you know about this?

Thanks again,
Mike

Yes - I've known James Lyles for a couple of years now...

Gunnie
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC
Ok, Hey Jim I have one more question. On Nancy they took the Quad50 off of th trailer and laid it in the back of the tuck all they did was take the tires off right? And The AFV Club Kit doesnt have this. Was this the same for all the Quad50 Guntrucks? Taking it right from the trailer and taking the wheels off ?

thanks,
Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, Hey Jim I have one more question. On Nancy they took the Quad50 off of th trailer and laid it in the back of the tuck all they did was take the tires off right? And The AFV Club Kit doesnt have this. Was this the same for all the Quad50 Guntrucks? Taking it right from the trailer and taking the wheels off ?

thanks,
Mike

Yes Mike, they wheeled the entire trailer up into the cargo bed, and took the wheels off, so that the trailer sat flat on the cargo bed floor. The wheels were often stored alongside the towing arm.

Gunnie
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
Ok Jim thanks, and I take it that this was done to all guntrucks??

Iam going to be starting the hobby fan guntruck conversion soon and was wondering what should the color of the guntruck be? Second of all i've just about completed 2 guntrucks in the same weathering patern in the resish dust of Vietnam. I dont want to do all of them the same way. do you have any other suggestions I can use??

thank,
Mike
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
Gunnie,
I am going to hijack this thread briefly to ask if you saw Jamie Sumner's Gun Truck on ML (homepage) and what you thought of it.

Cheers,
Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
I am going to hijack this thread briefly to ask if you saw Jamie Sumner's Gun Truck on ML (homepage) and what you thought of it.

Cheers,
Jim

Cool idea and execution - for a fantasy vehicle...

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
I was wondering if it was fictional. After perusing those 200 images of different guntrucks that we had I didn't remember ever seeing that one.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering if it was fictional. After perusing those 200 images of different guntrucks that we had I didn't remember ever seeing that one.

Jim

Yeah - and with so many of the well-documented real vehicles - of so many different breeds, styles, and finishes, I wonder why the urge is still there to do a fantasy vehicle...

Gunnie
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
And now, even the page with the pics of that fictionnal vehicle has become fictionnal !
The link didn't work...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:09 AM UTC
Pen,
You mean this link:
http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/jsgt.htm

It's working for me.

Jim
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
Gunny,
Don't i remember seeing in your photo album that you were working on a fantasy 10 ton Vulcan guntruck? Has the master slipped up?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny,
Don't i remember seeing in your photo album that you were working on a fantasy 10 ton Vulcan guntruck? Has the master slipped up?

No - I've got too many things happening at one time. Other priorities come before the fun stuff. It'll be done before too long. I just put my M7 105mm HMC (Early) in-progress work up on the Models on the Workbench folder here on the Gallery...

Gunnie
wafu
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:46 PM UTC
maybe you could help me. i am just completing a scratch built gun truck in 15th scale of sopwith camel. did it exist and if so what group did it belong to and is there a picture of what radio it carried as i need to build one. thank you in advance. wafu
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:42 PM UTC
Yes "Sopwith Camel" was a real guntruck. You can see the complete build at Gunny's (Jim above) website: Sopwith Camel.

Jim says: "For reference, I used two photos of "Sopwith Camel" appearing in James Lyles' reference book The Hard Ride - Vietnam Gun Trucks, Volume I."
Removed by original poster on 05/20/10 - 11:04:35 (GMT).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Gee - I was surprised to see this thread come back up...

I thought I was being called outta retirement!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 02:55 PM UTC
Lol...yup I didn't catch on to it being so old until mid-way down the topic. Google search most likely.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP