_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
t-34 tank engine
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi. Been working on a t-34 engine for the 1943 model by Trumpeter and for some reason the top of it just doesn't look right, or maybe "finished'' would be a better word here.

Been trying to find a photo around that shows the top of these motors and have only come up with one that shows and air cleaner right in the middle between the two banks of cylinders. All well and good.

But going through on the Russian Battlefields site and looking as some drawings of this tank and the various changes it went through, I see that the early models show an air clearner drawn in and listed, but on the later ones, it shows and mentions none.

Anybody out there have any ideas as to what was up in this section of the motor? Has to be more than those two banks of cylinders and the bare pump in the middle. Dont' know what I'm looking for, but there has to be something more, somehow or other.

Thanks and take care, sgirty
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
sgirty, been looking for the same thing for my Trumpeter T-34 (1942 model). I will post some links if I find anything!!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
On the second page of AFV Interiors' T-34 pages, Picture 9 shows a late engine with the air cleaners moved to the back: http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/t34/t34b.html

Hope this helps!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
Here's another site that shows a bit of the engine area with some other features as well.

T34 Construction Features

Here's one that has some good color shots of the V-2-34 Engine
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the Engine pics Ken. Excellent.

Chuck
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hi. My thanks as well to Kencelot and HOLLOWPOINT for providing these photos of the engine. Since this piece (called the pump in the instructions), did have 12 little plastic tips on top of it, and each inner bank of cylinders had 6 tips each, I got to wondering if these weren't somehow connected. I thought maybe fuel lines, but wasn't quite sure.

Now this added little detail will give that 'finished' appearance to the engine's top I was looking for. Now the question is to see if I can do this.

Thanks again and take care, Sgirty
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
I would also like to express my gratitude for these pics (and links)!!
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
Wish I woulda' had those pics some years ago when I built the old Tamiya T-34/76 and 'winged it' in the engine compartment from a couple of unclear war-time photos plus an old Steve Zaloga drawing. Through the grating you're not going to see a huge amount of detail but the 'impression' of hardware can be quite effective. There are probably 150 little machined(by me) gooh-gahs in the engine compartment to make it appear like something is actually happening in there. There is no real need to get too persnickety about the specifics unless you are going to somehow display the engine exposed.

Cody
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC
great links guys thanks
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:10 AM UTC
HI, The only real drawback to Trumpeter's kit that I can see at the moment is that most of the work that goes into the building of the motor, gearbox, etc. won't been seen once it's all closed up with the upper hull, even if all the hatches are left open. Of course the big back panel is a seperate piece, so it could be left off either showing heavy maintenance or an internal explosion.

This is a very nicely detailed motor over all, and Trumpter is to be congratulated. This is most defintely going to be the model of the year. I can''t imagine what could possible top it, at least in the arnor department of this hobby.

Take care, sgirty
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC
sgirty
I haven't recieved mine yet, but you just peaked my interest. When you say the "back panel" is a seperate piece are you referring to the whole rear deck?
Does it look like the fit will be good enough to leave the whole top hull removable?
I can't wait for my kit to get here.

Chuck
sharkmouth
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
Guys,

Keep in mind that there are different versions of the engine. The Trumpeter kit seems to be based on a T-34/85 with the later engine. See these links from Armo, the manufacturer of 1/35th scale engines which I am reviewing for Track-Link (www.track-link.net)

Early vs. Late W-2-34 (engine for T-34)

Early:
http://jadarhobby.waw.pl/images/armo/35524.jpg

Late:
http://jadarhobby.waw.pl/images/armo/35519.jpg

Hope this is of help. Contact me for more images.

Regards,
Saúl García
TL Admin Team
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi, cfbush2000-- When I said 'back panel' I was referring to that slanted panel at the very end of the vehicle, the one that has the inspection hatch and exhausts on it as being separate from the rest of the top. Leaving this off would give a fairly good view of the whole gearbox assembly, but not a heck of a lot more beyond that I'm afraid. Of course the engine hatch itself is also separate, but this doesn't show a hole heck of a lot of the motor, just the middle top.

It is too bad that they whole rear deck doesn't come off on the kit, but I'm sure a modeler much more skilled that I can 'remove' this for display purposes.

Can't say as to how much or accurate this kit is to the real thing inside. I'm sure there are many very skilled modelers out there that can add 'ton's' of detail parts and pieces to the inside of this vehicle to make it more accurate. I remember one of Academy's Tiger I's with the interior to it a while back that somebody went totally nuts on and put literally everything in it, which tended to make the kit itself look rather plain. So that would be up to the individual modeler and their skills to do. Not me. If I can just get the kit OOTB done to my satisfaction that will be a major accomplishment and I won't ask the model gods for any more. Ha!

Maybe later on, if I do a good enough job on this one, I'll get an /85 to do, as I'm sure by then there will be loads of after market stuff out for this kit as time goes along.

We haven't even begun to see the 'uproar' these four kits are going to do the model and after-market industry as a whole. It's going to really set some companies on their head. If all the major kit makers would just make tracks out of the hard plastic that can be built in less than 15 mins. without glue and be as flexible as the ones in this kit, Modelkasten and Fruilmodel would be out of business tomorrow. Period.

I took the assmbled tracks and road wheels back up to the hobby shop where I got the kit at last Saturday and they guy said he bet that Tamiya and Dragon has one of these kits sitting on the board room table and a bunch of guys standing around it saying , "Holy Crap! Why didnt' we do this?" You know?

Take care, sgirty
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:35 PM UTC
Well, the piece with the turretring is detachable - provided you dont glue it, and it should be easy to cut of the enginedeck and make that detacheble also.

Otherwise, just dont glue the whole upper part to the bottom, then you will be able to show of your work.

Another idea is leaving the engine outside the tank for display ?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi, MrMox is quite correct here. If you don't glue on the separate piece--Y3-- that the turret itself sits on, this will show off the entire front area back to the bulkhead right in front of the engine compartment. And in 1/16 scale, this is a REALLY big opening.

I put the motor, the bulkhead that the air cleaners sit on, and the bulkhead in front of the motor in the body last night just to get a look-see at it all and the size of this kit just literally blows my mind away! Now I've had people tell me that I don't have that much of a mind to be 'blown away, ha, ha, but the SIZE of this kit is truly mind boggling to me. I've never done anything like this before. This is going to be some kit to build. Just one step at a time.

Take care, sgirty
sharkmouth
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
Here are photos of Trumpter's T-34/85 masterpiece

http://www.model-news.com/hot/2004/t34_16/t3485im.htm

Regards,
Saúl García
TL Admin Team
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
I agree with sgirty, this detail (amount of, not quality or accuracy per se) its mind boggling. I have 4 of the Tamiya 1/16 R/C tanks, but you only get exterior with those (and you can play w/ 'em) but this is great. Much like you I'm trying to scheme a way to display my engine. Thought about posing the hatches open, but not glueing the turret or the upper hull to the chasis. So, should I feel inclined to, I can open the sucker up and show off all that detail!! And as for sharkmouth's pic of the '85, makes my mouth water! I bought the 76 ('41 model) as a hold over til the 85 comes around. Lets hope Trumpeter really hits a home run with these, and decides later to do some Shermies or something!! WOOOHOO!!
 _GOTOTOP