_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Barracuda
CV9040C
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hello!

I am working on a Swedish Strv 122 (Leo 2 if you wish). These are often seen wearing special camouflage nets called Barracuda-nets (the manufacturer is SAAB Barracuda) to reduce IR-signature and they look like this (I know the TC responsible for that )

How would you do these in 1/35?

And how would you do these rubber thingies on the front seen here

EDIT: Broken link.

Grateful for any help!
/Mats
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:13 AM UTC
WOW,, CV90, That stuff looks tough. It resembles the Radar-scattering net we use in the US military, but we don't usually attach it directly to the tuuret faces... Well, whatever works, right?
As to how you'd duplicate it in 1:35. Hmm... This may sound weird, but give it a shot . If you have access to liquid latex, or Latex mold rubber, Paint out a Very thin layer on a sheet of glass. Lay some very thin thread into this while it is drying, Then add another super-thin layer to this after the first is completly dry. When this second coat dries, get yourself a kitchen tool called (in the US) a Pie-Crimper. It' essentially a handle with a little wheel on either end. The wheels are not flat, but have a wavy pattern stamped into the edge. I hope I'm describing this well... Anyway, roll the pie-crimper along the Latex shhet you've laid down in paralell rows. With some practice, you should achieve the wavy, 3D effect you're looking for. Then just white glue it to your tank And paint it as required.
Good luck, and I hope someone comes along behind me to tell you that you can buy this stuff aftermarket. Looks too much like work! :-)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:19 AM UTC
ummm WOW, my hats off to you if you get that done even semi-decent looking, that looks tough, i know how to do regular netting, but that barracuda stuff looks like a challenge. i'd say do it..very carfully, but LOGANSDAD sounds like he's got an idea....if it works out, let me know
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
G'day CV90,
The "Brracuda"or MRCS cammo is used on Australian Leo as well. From what i know about this system is that the thermal backing is the same for all types and countries. But the cammo its self is from cam nets from that particular country. So for instance, The Australian version is differant to the Sweed type.
The way I made my Aussie type was to cut the panels out to shape from a type of medical dressing. On one side it has a sticky backing and on the other side it has just a flat surface. Then I used another type of dressing. A non medicated gauze. I pulled out a few threads and glued this to the first layer. Then once it had dried I then glued down used tea leaves. Painted it and this is how it came out. I flicked out a few of the leaves to simulate wear and tear.
Logansdad idea sounds pretty good. I may have to try that myself.

And here are the pic's. Hope this helps.

Jason

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:10 PM UTC
that looks like a planned bad Zimmerit job, cause I don't think nobody could do that bad without trying.
It even looks as though they put it on separate plates so they could take it off later themselves.
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Mats.

Good luck with the Barracuda nets, you will need it. :-)
Erik Gustavsson has been thinking about making that to, you might wanna try contact him and ask if he came up with something.

The rubber skirts on the front can easily be made either using thin plastic card shaped in hot water or a caviar tube.

/Thord
 _GOTOTOP