_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
chatroom
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
does armorama have a chatroom jim?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
hi mech-maniac,

there used to be one on the main site, but it wasnt to reliable, and no one used it, i think it was removed to make space for other stuff.

the msn site has one, but the links were removed after several users were found to be mis-using it, and causing considerable problems. it still gets used, but not as often as it used to.

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/chat

i tend not to use it anymore, i have several other members on my msn messenger contacts list, and use that instead

cheers

joe
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
I'll confirm greatbrit's info.

I found myself chatting away hours and to save time I stopped using it. I liked the immediate contact, but found myself shying away from jumping into the chatroom to not get caught in a time-warp...

My kids have MSN and it works very well for them...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:20 AM UTC
I started using the MSN chat after we had the big flame war last fall (Oct-Nov timeframe). At first when I started showing up, I would get all sorts of snide comments about the "hammer" being there (a few of us have manager status there, signified by a gavel next to your name).

In the beginning, some folks were rather rude and inconsiderate when I entered the chat room. It got to be fairly annoying, but once I figured out how to use the ignore feature, the problem went away--I couldn't see their rude comments directed at me.

I always thought this was strange since on the forums, I don't think I ever had more than a minor difference of opinion with one or two chat users. I even met a couple of them at local shows and had absolutely no problems with them in person. Seems like they took on new personalities in the chat room. I call it "key board courage". They will say or behave differently behind the safety and anonymity of the internet.

Recently though, there has been little if any problems in the chat room. Most folks in there behave. One younger member used some curse words and I booted him, but he apologized once he reentered the room.

There are still two or three members who use the chat room and just do not get along. They are still civil to one another. Not everyone will be friends. Heck, I still routinely click "ignore" when one certain member enters the room.
 _GOTOTOP