_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
INCOMING!Dragon's update
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
Ok, up untill now I finnished my quad and 25 Pounder with the limber and all, and have made a base for it, there are still some details to add, like the stowage. This quad looks like its going through some road in the northern side of the moon :-) but I like it anyway. I added some fence in one side and there is supposed to be a grave in the other, but I still need to finnish the grave, and Maybe add some vegetation
Here I took some darker shots just so you can see the terrain is a little bumpy, this is my first try at landscaping so be hard on me if you want

PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
I like it, You did a nice job on the vehicles. Base looks really nice also, but like you said a bit bare! With a little bit added it will look great..a bit of grass, a tree stump, an old tire..something to break up the color. Wondefull job please keep us posted!
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
Dragonslain,
I really like the dio. I think that you did EXCELLENT on the groundwork. It looks real, and that's the key. I was thinking that you could have made it like it was going around the corner. It would not be perfectly straight (for a little action) and you would have had less space to fill up. I think it is wonderful, though. Great job
Ciao for now
Rob
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
First try on groundwork? Awesome!

I wouldn't add too much, except maybe some abandoned German gear, perhaps?

I can't tell if you have any figures in the vehicle. Do you plan to add any to the base?
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:46 PM UTC
It looks realy good... And I hope my first diorama base, when I get to it, comes out just half as good as yours...

My suggestion for something to add is just some shrubs... As (most) of the fighting in North Africa (I assume this is where the dio is supposed to be located) was along the coast some Mediterrenean vegetation seems to be appropriate...

Congrats on a goodlooking model !!!

Harm

PS. I noticed that your wheels seem to be quite dusty. It might be the pics, but the vehicle and gun seem to be remarkably dust-free.... especially for the type of ground considered, and arguably the fact that this vehicle would not be riding alone, and therefor encounter a lot of dust kicked up by other vehicles in the convoy.

But again, I hope my models will come out half as good as yours...
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:44 AM UTC
Dutchbird, they are dusty, just that they don't look it in these pics
thanks everyone for the comments
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
I think this will be a good diorama. The vehicle would fill the space better if it were posed going around a curve? It would also draw the viewers eye into the dio, making you look were the truck is going?

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
Nice work you got there mate! I love the way you tow two items in the Quad!! BTW, did the Quad have artillery crew included?
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
no, thats something I hated, there was no crew to go with the 25pdr. there was only a driver that I didn't use. I think that it would have been better if I bought the Quad and the 25pdr. as a separate kit, because the tamiya 25pdr. alone has a crew.

P.S. this was not really intended to be a diorama, just a nice base to keep my model in, but I will still add some figures i think
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
Howdy DRAGONSLAIN,

Very nice work on the model there sir. Your first photo does a splendid job of showing off your weathering efforts (you obviously toned down the 'toupe' the Quad was wearing ). And, your fifth and sixth shots reveal your topo nicely.

I am in agreement with both huskey1943 and DaveCox. Depicting your wonderful dio with the vehicle going around a 'corner' is giving your vehicle it's best 'face'. You could add a rise in the topo, opposite the fence side of the dio to give it something to go around, as well as break up the landscape, or just the opposite......a 'poisoned waterhole for instance.

Tread.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hey Treadhead has the right idea. You could have the Quad going around a camel that was too stubborn to move from its spot!
Ciao for now
Rob
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:46 PM UTC
Now I learn that I should ask for a couple of good Ideas before I start anything, because my model is now glued to the base I cannot change it, but I will use the ideas of a vehicle having to go another way. The base was intended for the vehicle to go in a curve, but it looks like it wasn't enough. Thanks for your comments and I will show you the next progress pics.

P.S. The side opposite the fence will have grave with a helmet on top of a rifle and some equipment around it.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
Dragonslain,
I look forward to the next one! I hear you about the planning thing. I always fly by the seat of my pants, and I have yet to have a dio come out the way that I initially pictured it in my mind.
Ciao for now
Rob
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
Dragonslain,

For your first effort at groundwork you have done an excellent job. The look is very convincing and mimics the real desert very closely. I am also sometimes of the school that less is more. I like it when people don't clutter desert scenes, it gives a sense of just how barren it is out there.

The vehicles look great as well. Very nice weathering on them.

Stuke
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
Thanks, that's what I have been noticing, that it really was desolate out there
 _GOTOTOP