_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
New Community Forums
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:33 PM UTC
If you look on the main Forum area you will see a new (well kinda) forum called "My Community Forum". Unless you are in the Phillipines, then it's called Filipino Modelers Phorum.

You guessed it. Jim has been up to his tricks. Again something I have been meaning to add to the site for about a year now. These community forum are meant to provide a place where users in the same country can swap posts. Nothing fancy. It doesn't mean you have to post there, nor should you post there unless you want to talk to your neighbors (okay well I use the term neighbor loosely).

PLEASE NOTE! I would really appriciate it if the members in the USA NOT use this feature. Lets face it guys, there are 1500+ of us and a "regional" setting of the entire US is not exactly getting "local". The same is true to a degree for other countries (Canada, China, Russia, etc), but we don't have that many members by comparisson. Plus we know the Canadians will all want to talk hockey anyways.

Topics in the Community Forum are open. No modelling only restrictions that is. Currently it's listed under Other Modeling Forums but this may change at some point.

Well have fun. I made this forum specifically for the UK crowd as we are going to try to wean them off of MSN over time. And I would like to thank the Phillipine gang for providing the example and "template" for going this route.

At some point I will add the functionality for unique moderators for the larger groups. Until then moderators for the Community Forum will have global rights.

Oh and I should probably explain that this all CURRENTLY works off of your country setting in your profile. But eventually I will also have an IP tracking element working that will tag visitors with a "Country Cookie" and they will also be able to see topics from their native lands.

Cheers,
Jim
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC
For a while I thought the Fiilipino Phorums is gone. Thanks for the updates staff_jim!!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:38 PM UTC

this is what I see #:-) And I don't live in that area
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
Ronny,
That is because you are viewing it in dutch. The english translations should say "Community Forums... etc"

What do you see when you click on it? Nothing right?

Jim
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:56 PM UTC
Jim,

This is what I see when I click on it

maybe I am understanding it wrong but is it so that the name stays Community forum or is it so that the name should adjust according to your country settings (for me "my Belgian community" and for Eagle "my Dutch community"?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi,

I've allready change the portuguese translation files so that it now shows the comunity texts and not the previous mention to Filipinos Modelers.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC
Jose,
Thanks for changing that so quickly.

Ronny,
Yes right now there is only a way to do single countries. But since the Benelux community is already comfortable using the ENTIRE forum via the dutch language selection I doubt this area will be as utilized as some others.

Evetually I am hoping that users can "define" their neighborhood so that someone from say Maine (USA) could select a few other states in New England. Or even a province in Canada.

That option may be a while off yet though. Gotta finish Phase 2b before moving to Phase 3.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP