_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
"In The NAM"
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 268 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
Was Gonna Submit this to Armorama and hope it got On Display But couldnt get it to work So Ill just post the pics here of the Dio

The Beer Can (You can also Notice some Bullet shells)

The Sandbags are made out of Clay and the Mud is Plaster.

The Figures are a mix of Different DML Parts and Verlinden Heads and the Radio,Cooler And Crate are Verlinden.

Thanks for looking! -Dave
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
This Should be in the Diorama Section shouldnt it.. No wait nevermind hehe
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
I'm not an expert on Nam so this is my only criticism - when a sandbag gets puntured by bullets, the stuff inside tends to leak outside! Try a trickle of sand ( or often mud!) coming down from the holes.
The figures faces look good and have expression so that's a plus to balance the criticism above.
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC
Thats one Thing I tried to do with the Pastels But I need to add A bit of glue to the holes to get it to pour out a little more. Alot of holes to work on hehe :-)

Thanks for the Comment!

I also Wish I could get a pic of the Guy with the Radios Face :
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 257 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:49 AM UTC
looks good dave! figs are well painted and the faces are quite nice. a few things though. the barrels of some of those m16s seem to be bent. that shouldnt be too hard to fix. also i dont know if it was your aim, but it seems too brown. maybe some static grass or a bush etc would lighten it up. those sandbags look great. the bullet holes really give it an urgent feel. great job!
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 257 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
oh, i forgot to ask, what type of camo is on the helmet cover?
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
As for the Barrels yep Noticed that Just dont wanna mess with em hehe tooooo many times I tried to fix something and Pop! it falls off.
As for the Redness it does seem red but Ive seen pics of the dirt in Nam And The Red seems close.

As for the Helmet covers Not Sure of the name but its the same Cover Thats shown on the Box art for the Marines By DML I Used.

Thanks for the Comments And As for the Beer Can... Does it even look like one?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Looks grea! I can make a few suggestions though, The helmet cover just doesn't look "right" to me, it is way too tan, helmet covers were actually a light green, with leaves of a darker shade, brown "twigs" and tanish-brownish-yellow leaves in some spots. The camo also breaks at the seam, that would be a nice detail. Take a look at my Grandfathers helmet cover.

The base has some nice details, especially the brass and the beercan, but it looks "empty". Try adding some thing to the back of them, a small bunker comes to mind, or maybe some trees around them, those woiuld look great!
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
Aw The Helmet cover they are using is A Different one then that one

As For Adding more Stuff I Do Have Plans Believe me I do
As For the Seam I did have plans of Painting the Seam But as the Helmets didnt have it I had a small bit of trouble trying that.

I thought the same Thing also about the Camo when I first saw the Box art It does look a bit strange But I Just followed the Camo on it.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
do you have a pictyre of the box I can see? as far as I know, the only cover they used was the two sided one on my helmet, is it the desert cam on the opposite side?
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
That looks great man. I love Nam dios I agree that the helmets look a little to tan. Some did have a tanner look to them, but I'd add more splotches to the helmets. Maybe have some more tan looking and some greener looking. The helmet camo pattern was called "wine leaf" and was reversible. Here are the patterns.

Here’s the same pattern, only grayer in color (due to just natural wear, or just different colors on the pattern).

This is the reverse side, which has an entirely different pattern.

As for the sandbags, they probably would have just filled them with that red clay material around there in real life. I’d add some of that red clay oozing out. Don’t put a whole lot though since it sticks a lot. As for vegetation, you could add some, or just leave it as is. On firebases, it was mostly mud from trampling anyway. It’s personal preference if you want to add a blade of grass here, or there. Just curious, but what set did you use for these? It looks like a Dragon kit with Verlinden heads.
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
Okay Im starting to think the Box art was wrong it showed the Helmet cover that had that desert camo on the back But the pattern looks like the one I tried to make hmm Im guessing the Box art is wrong. As for the Guy dropping his Rifle Id Keep my rifle on me. He just put it to his shoulder so he could take out his .45

As for Bullet shells The Way I think the dio is Is that they Just got attacked and as for Ammo Boxes I have a few but im saving most of the stuff I should have put in the dio for an upcoming project.

Also As for Empty Mags that was a plan I had sadly I didnt have any : Prolly gonna try sculpting some though.

I think I may end up placing another figure Running up with a M60.

As for the Figures They are Actually A Mix of a bunch of Different Kits. A Torso from this one Legs from that one so and so.

The Guy aiming The M16 is Using the Arms from a Old DML Kit.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
You did really well on youre figures the the ground work is did well the color of the mud looks right for Nam. Its good to see another Nam modler seems like its getting a litle more popular. Keep up the good work.
GunNut
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
In the two pictures above the lower one is the same pattern color, its just dirty and well used. These helmet covers are very common now on the surplus market and all are obvious they are pretty close in original color, some are just more faded than others. The inside of the covers (the desert camo or fall camo) usually looks pretty good since it was almost never ever used.

Airwarrior, you wouldn't happen to be the AKWARRIOR on another site? If so, I'm Ezra over there. Your helmet looks familiar.
 _GOTOTOP