_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Chally 2
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
Well guys here are some pics for my Chally2 (Tamiya, the Trumpeter kit is a write off), it's gonna wear the markings of the 7th Scot Dragoons. These guys were kind enough to liberate Basra during Operation Telic. My references are simply the MOD(Minisry of Defense) web page as the unit page had no pics of their gulf deployment. Using these reference my weathering will be nothing more than a dusting of Flat Earth. So first is the Photo I used alot with the trumpeter kit (inspiration to continue till Tamiya saved the project.)
photo courtesy of MOD

Now the Tank, remember these are in progress pics.

Somenice things in this kit. are the tail lights and the rest of the clear pieces. Photos on the MOD web Page showed the scopes and sights for the weapons were Black/Green tint. I mixed Tamiya Smoke and clear green for this. Another thing is while looking at the pics on the MOD web page I got a feel that masking wasn't a priority for tanks shipped to the gulf directly in their Black and Green camo pattern. Some picshave the rubber sheets on the front fender masked so they weren't painted in light stone, while others were sprayed like the rest of the tank. Some even had them replace with the same Kevlar Fabric as the sand skirts. Well there's alot of option for finishing to say the least. Hope you like it. Comments and suggestions for things I may have missed are welcome. STUG
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
i usually don't do modern stuff but this kit is starting to bug me ...I just might have to buy this one and do a good oob build for the fun...Why not eh! Your kit has inspired me stug!

Rick
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
Rick, thanks for comments. This is great kit to start doing Armour again. Though the AH-1W in the pic is a planned additon to the DIO this gonna be part of for Operation Telic. The kits requires some skill with an exacto knife though, as the periscope and flat CIP panels need to be done with plasicard provided in the kit. Aside from that it is a great kit. STUG
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC
is it me or does the turret of the Chally looks abit bright?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
Just a bit of early warning from me: I will prepare a detailed comparison article about Tamiya and Trumpeter Chally 2 kits with tons of photos for all those who still wonder whether Tamiya kit is really worth the money. If you know my Abrams kits comparison article, you know what to expect. But it will be at least two more weeks before it is ready because my Tamiya kit is still traveling somewhere between Japan and Poland...

Pawel
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:23 PM UTC
Its nothing more than the effects of the light in the pic. I like it though and it has been a good inspiration for the project. STUG
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
looking good mate,
if you have a look here you will see some nice close ups I took of some chally 2's last month whilst on exersize

_GOTOTOP