Vietnam wickum reference?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hi all,
From the moment I saw a picture of a wickum (in Armor in Vietnam, Jim Mesko) I thought: I have to build one of these funny looking things. Besides this pic in Armor in Vietnam I just found this one:
http://fmj.pe.kr/bbs/data/helicopter/amc.jpg
but I'm wondering if there's someone who has some more info (pics, dimensions, drawings etc) of the wickum.

any help is greatly appreciated

kind regards
Mark
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Howdy Mark,

I tried some time ago to find ref's on the rail-based Wicum, and with 'no joy' unfortunately.
I wish better luck to you, and if you happen across something, please share it with us.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, your link doesn't work.
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Tread,
Thanks for your reaction (I changed the link) and I found these nice pictures: http://www.keretapi.com/armouredcar.html
In a magazine called 'tankette' there's supposed to be article on the wickum (wickham armored trolley) with some drawings (scale 1/76 but hey...)

I'll keep you all posted if I find some more info

Mark
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Howdy Mark,

Good on ya! You did better than I did back then. Those pics are dandy, and since the vehicle is essentially slab sided, she wouldn't be too difficult to scratch if you had a mind to.
The only thing missing in that small set of photos is a rear shot, but I think those things were pretty basic on the rear. Plus you could just extrapolate the rear tail lights.

Tread.

{just don't paint it up like he did }
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Tread,
True; there's no picture of the thing's backside but my guess was it's similar to the front (I might be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time )
Yes, scratchbuilding was my idea (if I'll ever get to it)

And when it' s finally finished (???) it'll sure get another color

Mark
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC
The photos at http://www.keretapi.com/armouredcar.html are from Kuala Lumpur, which kind of indicates that these armoured railcars may have been in use during the 'Malayan Emergency' - perhaps the SVN ones came from the same source.
Also, the turret on top is reminiscent of that on a Saracen APC or Ferret AC, which would suggest British origin.

There's more to this than meets the eye

acav out
 _GOTOTOP