_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tie downs and cables
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
Can I solicit some comments on how you make you tie downs and tow cables for Sherman/WW II US armor?
thanks
DJ
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 09:45 PM UTC
I have used the guts from 550 cord with nice results. A little paint and it stiffens right up.

I've read about twisting 3 strands of craft wire together in a drill also (gonna have to try that one)

John
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC
For my Tamiya M3 Lee, I drilled out the kit ends and added picture hanging wire painted a gungy black. The paint replicates the grease we used to keep cables from rusting, it collects dirt quickly. Tie downs I have not tried yet.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC
I always use nylon string for the tow cables. Usually, I'll clip off the ends of the plastic cable, and drill out the ends to accept the nylon string. If slotted, then I fill the ends with plastic strip, sand it back round again, drill, and insert the nylon string.

Gunnie
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read about twisting 3 strands of craft wire together in a drill also (gonna have to try that one)

That is how I do it, but I use fine dolderingwire instead of craft wire, works like a charm.

the big advantage for me, when using soldering wire is that it is soft and therefore I can drape it on my AFV like I want to
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
For tow cables, I use twisted not braided picture wire. ACE Hardware is the only place in town (OklahomaCity) that carries it. I make a loop the size i need and then use a piece of heat shrijnk tubing for the swedge just like real cables, paint and glue it on. I read somewhere that bicycle brake cables work good too! HTH
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi,

I like the solder method described above fitted into the cable ends. Mostly because of the flexibility that the solder gives you. However, I have NOT mastered this process yet.

For the tie-downs, Yoshida makes lovely ones in PE on their M113 frets that are quite fiddley, but IMHO, well worth it.

Oooooh, today I made PFC. Last time I made that rank was exactly 30 years ago last month. :-(

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Lots of good ideas for the tow cable. I do it like Gunnie: nylon cord and use the ends from the kit cable.

For the tie-downs, I like On the Mark's PE sets, though they are becoming harder to find. When I need a bunch, I make my own out of the fine copper wire that's inside speaker cables. I made a jig out of a piece of scrap sheet plastic (about 1/2 inch eide and a couple inches long) and a strip of Evergreen strip (.010 x .060, IIRC). The copper is soft enough so you can flatten the ends a bit to look better. It takes a bit of practice, but one you get the knack of it, you can make quite a few in a short time.
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
Great advise on tie dows..I have been pondering that question this week
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For tow cables, I use twisted not braided picture wire. ACE Hardware is the only place in town (OklahomaCity) that carries it. I make a loop the size i need and then use a piece of heat shrijnk tubing for the swedge just like real cables, paint and glue it on. I read somewhere that bicycle brake cables work good too! HTH

Sounds good Chief. Never really noticed the difference but I see how it would affect final product when one is interleaved and the other twisted. Thanks for pointing that out!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
Can someone supply photos of their work with cables and tie downs so we can better appreciate your input.
thanks
DJ
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 01:13 PM UTC
DJ:

I'll try to borrow a digital camera this weekend and get some more photos, but if you look at this link you'll see my nearly-scratchbuilt M-10 that is covered with homemade tiedowns.

http://www.ipmsgreatplains.com/Gallery_BobKerr.htm

I'll see if I can get some shots of my M-18 -- it has the tiedowns and a homemade tow cable.
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:42 PM UTC
Those figures are incredible how do you paint those? What technique(s) do you use?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those figures are incredible how do you paint those? What technique(s) do you use?

I use a lot of different techniques in paintng figures. Some work well, some not so well, but experimenting with different techniques is what it is all about.

Generally, I use acrylics as a base and paint all of the figure in colors that are about the same or a little darker than I want the area to be in the end. Then I use oils on top of the acrylic to give shadows and highlights. For flesh areas, I use a modified version of Verlinden's technique. His figures are a little stark for my taste and I try to blend colors more than he does.

The real "secret" is having good brushes and taking care of them. I have one set of red sable brushes that I use ONLY for oils. I thin paint and clean my oil brushes using mineral spirits. I shape the bristles after cleaning and store them in a rack that keeps the bristles pointed up.

If you are looking for step-by-step instructions on painting figures, check Mark Bannerman's articles on the Missing Links site. I don't do things exactly like Mark, but he is a much better figure painter than I am. Perhaps I, too, should re-read his articles.

Another tip I can give is to get some photos of actual people to use as reference. Magazines like National Geographic, Time and Newsweek have photos of "real people" and not models made up and photographed in a studio.

One last tip: Practice!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
Bob K----Superb work! Appreciate you sharing this marvelous art object.
Well done.
DJ
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
I am knew to this, so could someone please explain an easy and good looking way to make a tie down as if they were speaking to a four year old with a 14 word vocabualry?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am knew to this, so could someone please explain an easy and good looking way to make a tie down as if they were speaking to a four year old with a 14 word vocabualry?

Sancho--as you can see there are a variety of ways to make the tie down and tow cables. If you can get it Shep Paine put out a book on basic modeling which details how to make some simple clamps and cables. I can scan it for you if you want.
DJ
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
DJ, would you please scan whatever you can to help, thanks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, would you please scan whatever you can to help, thanks.

Sancho--I will get it to you on Monday.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP