_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Katyusha for Move It..Done!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
This is my entry for this wonderfull campaign. Was a very enjoyable build. All comments welcome and thanks to all that helped...John

Hope it's not to many photos.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:51 AM UTC
I think the vehicle came out very nice!

The groundwork is a bit distracting, however. It looks like it's parked on green shag carpet. Also, the tall grass on the driver's side must be at least 10-12 scale feet tall! Is that thing on the other side supposed to be a stump? If so, it needs to be blended to the ground a bit better -- right now it looks like some sort of modern sculpture sitting on the green carpet.

I'm not trying to be mean, John, just giving my opinion.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC
looks real good John. I agree that the clump of grass needs to be shorter and it also looks like you can still see the mold line on the spare tyres.

Other then that a superb job.

Cliff
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:32 AM UTC
Wow! The sand color came out much better than I thought! The grass looks good to me, this kind of stuff grows near swamps and small lakes. I have to agree with the others about the stump and the mold lines on the spares. This is the stuff that's easy to fix.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Replies are always welcome! Never will I take offense to a constructive comment. I agree with the tree stump critique.. it has caused me fits. What the heck to make it look right?...The tires are rubber and I went through a lot to sand down the seam..What do most folks do to deal with that? I can only improve with comments. :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC
1. Put them in the freezer for a day, then sand with very fine sandpaper, helps keeps the fuzzie's down.
2. A NEW single edge, or better yet, a double edge razor blade. Double edges blades are thinner and more flexible then single edge, I just put a few layers of tape over one edge, gently and slowly shave off the seam.
3. A hot knife, on a medium temp, I use an old dimmer switch and outlet set up as my temp controller/speed controller, I have a genuine hot knife, but usually just use my 15/30 watt soldering iron. Lightly run the side of the hot knife blade around the seam, not too hot or too much pressure, or you will melt your tire. You should see the seam melting back into the tire before you actually touch the tire.

At home I usually use the hot knife/ soldering iron, but at work, I usually use the freezer/razor blade.

Oh, the name of the place is Chevy's.... rt 10 and 202
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips Dave. Tuesday anytime in the afternoon is good..name a time
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
Ciao PvtParts,
I really like the model. It came out extremely well. The stump is an easy fix. All you have to do is paint dark, fine lines to separate the bark and inner wood and then gradually lighten to the center of the broken trunk. It will give the illusion of the tree. I can tell it's a stump (now, that you said it was.) It just needs the paint job to suggest that it's a trunk. Hope it helps.
Ciao for now
Rob
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:09 AM UTC
I like it! Very neat build!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
Other than whats already said that u need to fix, the model looks GREAT, good work, continue it!!!

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
I'm off Tuesday, so how about a late lunch, about 2 PM is fine with me, Don't know if you are working, then any time after work is fine, Like I said I'm off Tuesday,
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
Overall this is a fine model. Its quite eye-catching actually. As I said in one of the earlier threads, Im gonna buy this the next time I see it. I really like your finish and weathering. No point going into the same points mentioned above .. the only other thing I could see was the stabilisers at the back .... the left one is not totally horizontal. See pics 4 and 5.
Something else I said earlier also, was the inclusion of a driver/figure would have added some life to the model and give it that extra edge! The model has the perfect place at either side for him! Just my €0.02!
Best of luck.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thanks all for your replies I will try to fix up what has been mentioned and post an update.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
It came out very nice. The finish is done beautifully and I think that you did just enough weathering. I like the simple base. Bravo
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
Why thankyou Dave
 _GOTOTOP